• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi problem android 2.1

I've had this really annoying issue with my phone for quite a while.
I rooted it, mainly cuz i wanted to add an unsupported language.

I finally managed to get it to work, and now i have root access.

the only problem is,
mad2.gif
I can't surf the internet.
I am able to connect to a Wifi network, and do anything else on the phone-
but for some strange reason- i can't get internet access.

that means no market, no google maps, nada.
frown2.gif

Does anyone have any idea where I should start looking?

My system:
Motorola XT701 (similar to XT720), Android 2.1-update 1,
kernel system 2.6.29-omap1

Thanks in advance...

I found the workaround. Looks it works
If you have any news please keep me posted
http://modmymobile.com/forums/545-motorola-motoroi-milestone-tablet/555346-xt701-wifi-dns-issues.html#post4008325
XT701 Wifi / DNS Issues
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I think I understand why the XT701 has seemingly random difficulties with Wifi / DNS. Specifically, I noticed the following bugs:
1. Widgets and Settings menu claiming wifi cannot be enabled, when it actually is
2. Unable to use any internet based app after connecting to a wifi hotspot
3. Unable to use any internet based app after disconnecting from wifi and going back to 3G/HSPA connection.
Looks like the issue lies in Android's limited number of system properties that can be set (247 max). Stock android uses a lot of them to register all kinds of things, and Moto added a lot more. So, net.dns1 and net.dns2 may not get set before all the slots are full, so dns never works and internet apps cannot go get their data.
Spoke to a dev at Moto who can confirm the issue and that they are aware of it. Moto's stance seems to be to wait for Google to increase/fix the system properties limits. I kind of wish they would step up and work on a patch instead. Other good news is that he confirmed a 2.2 update is in the works for the XT701 but no release date has been set.
In the meantime, I suggest these workarounds:
A. Turn off bluetooth before turning rebooting the phone (so avrcp system properties, etc, do not get set right away on the next boot).
B. Start wifi and connect to a hotspot as soon as possible after startup.
C. Use the dnskeeper.apk app (Attached) to set the dns properties to use OpenDNS. It will run every time there is a network change, will probably give you a force close dialog, but it will have done its thing by then. I dont remember where I got it, I dont know who wrote it, and I most certainly will not guarantee that it does not contain other malicious code.

Evgeny

Reactions: rchacin
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones