• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WIFI Problem

Dsoto87

Apr 30, 2010
Hello all. Been lurking around for quite a while and I want to say thanks for all the great info.

Anyways, this is my first android phone and Im loving everything about it. Its just too bad a problem arose so early.

Basically what happened is when I first got the phone I was able to connect to my wireless router with no problems. I played around with it for quite a bit and everything was working smoothly. I than went out to eat and by the time I got back home I can no longer connect to my router.

Heres what Ive done to try and work it out:
Re enter my password multiple times
Put it into airplane mode multiple times
Turn on/Turn off the wifi on the phone multiple times
Reset my router (pulled the plug)
Turn on/Turn off the phone
Pull the battery on the phone

I think thats it :thinking:

The problem is that it doesnt seem to be able to obtain an IP address. It always fails after it says obtaining address.

Thanks in advance for any help. I tried searching but couldnt come up with anything

Depends on the router but usualy it is in the advanced tab. Just login to the router then goto advanced and connections or something like that. To login generally you goto your web browser (on your pc) and put in 192.168.1.1 or maybe 192.168.2.1 . If those do not work hold down your windows key and press the letter R and your run box will pop up, type in cmd hit enter and a black screen will pop up, then type ipconfig /all hit enter and look for Default gateway and that is the # to put into your browser. The login screen should appear once you enteer this into your browser and unless you have changed it user is admin pass is password or user is admin pass is admin. Hope that made sense and helps :D

Upvote 0
Hello all. Been lurking around for quite a while and I want to say thanks for all the great info.

Anyways, this is my first android phone and Im loving everything about it. Its just too bad a problem arose so early.

Basically what happened is when I first got the phone I was able to connect to my wireless router with no problems. I played around with it for quite a bit and everything was working smoothly. I than went out to eat and by the time I got back home I can no longer connect to my router.

Heres what Ive done to try and work it out:
Re enter my password multiple times
Put it into airplane mode multiple times
Turn on/Turn off the wifi on the phone multiple times
Reset my router (pulled the plug)
Turn on/Turn off the phone
Pull the battery on the phone

I think thats it :thinking:

The problem is that it doesnt seem to be able to obtain an IP address. It always fails after it says obtaining address.

Thanks in advance for any help. I tried searching but couldnt come up with anything

How are you turning on your wifi? Are you using a wifi toggle app or going into the menus? I ask this because I've read that some people are having issues turning on wifi with toggle. They press the button but wifi doesn't turn on. Maybe this is the issue. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
I had a huge struggle getting my phone to obtain the ip address on a particular case and I learned a few things.
When there are multiple ip addresses the phone will give up on the one you chose and connect to the next one if it finds problems, so you might be connected to the wrong network.
when you have a configuration that has been changed on the router (wep, address filtering) your phone will remember the old setting until you click "forget" and reenter the correct config.
This is pretty basic but when you are in a rush you can forget the even the basic stuff. hope this helps.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones