1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wifi Problems - stops syncing even when connected

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ladyinred83, Jul 25, 2011.

1. ladyinred83

ladyinred83 Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Short summary: I got an HTC Inspire 4G a week ago. It was giving me Wifi problems even when connected with a strong signal, as detailed below. I exchanged it for a new HTC Inspire. Now the replacement phone is doing the same thing.

With my last phone, I found that for several hours of the day, when it said it was connected to my home Wifi with a strong signal, it would stop syncing or pushing anything data related - gmail, exchange mail, weather, etc. I would get an exchange sync error in the status bar. If I told it to update weather when it was not working, the weather widget would say there is a connection error. It would stay this way until I restarted the phone or turned Wifi off and then on again - then it was fine for several more hours.

If I turned Wifi off altogether, my data through AT&T network would work, so it seemed to be a problem with Wifi specifically. This would occur standing right next to my modem and when my computer was not having any problem with internet. I also tried restarting my router - no dice.

I contacted HTC and AT&T. I did a factory reset which didn't help. They told me to exchange my phone through Amazon for a new one. For the last 3 days I had both phones before I returned my old one. My new phone has been fine for the 3 days and did not give me any sync errors even when the old phone was giving me errors at the exact same moment.

But now I am getting the same error on my new phone! It's acting the exact same way - syncing stops working, same exchange server error message, and the the problem fixes itself if I turn Wifi off and then back on or if I restart my phone. What could the problem be?

Advertisement

2. mlstein

mlstein Lurker
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    I'm having exactly the same problem.

3. ladyinred83

ladyinred83 Lurker
    None

Jul 20, 2011
    Can anyone help? My data wasn't working again this morning so I missed a couple emails coming in. I can't keep restarting my Wifi every few hours just in case!

Mlstein, what internet provider do you use? What router do you use? I doubt these are the issue but I thought we could see if we had anything in common.

4. mlstein

mlstein Lurker
    None

Apr 15, 2011
    I use AT&T, and I have a Netgear router that works fine with every other device.

sorry for the delay but they moved this thread.

5. qazzx

qazzx Newbie
    None

Mar 17, 2011
    same problem with me, it will have so much trouble "obtaining IP address" and then itll connect, and then it keeps shutting off and i get a wireless connection error in my notification bar. not to mention its eating my battery trying to connect to wifi a million times. Really troublesome