1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wifi Proxy

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dan1113, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Dan1113

Dan1113 Well-Known Member
    None

So I found out today that Android cannot do proxies on wifi. So I started reading about the solutions and saw that in a rooted phone there are apps that will let you do this.

My phone is a unlocked Nexus S with the latest Android. Is there anyway at all to get this to work (with apps or anything) without having to root? From what I read rooting is quite serious (kills your warranty) and lets you do loads of things that I'll never have any use for, and so I would also hate to mess up the complicated process for just one feature.

Am surprised it doesn't have this functionality but hopefully there is an easy way around it?

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. B2L

B2L Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Salt Lake City, UT
    There is not a way that i know of doing it without rooting. And it won't void your warranty as long as you relock the bootloader and load up your stock rom backup. Rooting especially on the NS makes it 10 times better imo, more customization and sound quality is incomparable.

3. Dan1113

Dan1113 Well-Known Member
    None

So can you explain rooting a bit better to me? Does it change a lot? I am not a developer and am a bit of an Android noob so would hate to suddenly have 50000 new menus to make it more complicated, haha.

Is it hard to root? I really like the design I have now and all the apps etc, I really just want it for the wifi proxy.

4. quantumrand

quantumrand Android Expert
    None

Sep 2, 2009
    Simply rooting doesn't really change much at all. It's installing a custom ROM that changes things.

Rooting the Nexus S isn't all that difficult (you basically plug your phone into your computer and type "fastboot oem unlock" into the command prompt).

As long as you don't install a custom ROM, the interface will stay exactly the same as it is now. The only difference will be that any time you try to do something that would be root only, a little app called SuperUser will ask if you're sure you want to do that.

This is a pretty good rooting guide for novices: How to Root Android 2.3.3 Gingerbread on Nexus S? [Tutorial] | Jaxov

Basically, you use the fastboot oem unlock to allow you to install a custom recovery image. Then with that, you can install a special update.zip that contains the superuser app.

Edit: Just FYI, the fastboot oem unlock command will wipe everything off your phone, USB storage included.

Tags: