• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi questions with new Evo...

AndroidMax

Android Enthusiast
Jun 10, 2010
I bought my Evo on release day at Radioshack. HW002. My lady loved it so much, she wanted to dump her iPhone and get one. Well, after calling BestBuy every day (5 stores her locally), and getting on the list at every Radioshack we could find, we finally got her one from RS. It took what, 5, 6 weeks? Whew! So, hers is a HW003. It came with everything except Froyo, which we immediately updated to. I find one thing very hard to swallow though... Her wi-fi radio receive is about 10-15dB stronger than mine. Sitting side by side, I pick up two wifi ssid's. The strongest is at -85dBm. She pickes up 5-6 wifis, the same one I get at -85dBm, she receives at -70dBm. She also sees another ssid on the same channel, at -90dBm that I have never received.

I don't claim to be a wifi expert, but what do you think? Should I pester HTC for a warranty replacement?

Opinions welcome.

One thing for certain: people's experiences with 2.2 upgrade vary from perfect to tons of problems. Maybe your upgrade was less than stellar, and you're not seeing the better wifi connectivity that froyo boasts.

So... perhaps you should consider doing the factory reset and see if that gets you the SNR you're hoping for :) Check out the http://androidforums.com/support-troubleshooting-evo-4g/141369-how-fix-froyo.html thread.

Upvote 0
I bought my Evo on release day at Radioshack. HW002. My lady loved it so much, she wanted to dump her iPhone and get one. Well, after calling BestBuy every day (5 stores her locally), and getting on the list at every Radioshack we could find, we finally got her one from RS. It took what, 5, 6 weeks? Whew! So, hers is a HW003. It came with everything except Froyo, which we immediately updated to. I find one thing very hard to swallow though... Her wi-fi radio receive is about 10-15dB stronger than mine. Sitting side by side, I pick up two wifi ssid's. The strongest is at -85dBm. She pickes up 5-6 wifis, the same one I get at -85dBm, she receives at -70dBm. She also sees another ssid on the same channel, at -90dBm that I have never received.

I don't claim to be a wifi expert, but what do you think? Should I pester HTC for a warranty replacement?

Opinions welcome.

Are you on FroYo too?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones