1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Support Wifi Scanning

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jpal723, Feb 8, 2012.

1. jpal723

jpal723 Member

Apr 20, 2011
    I have no problems connecting to wifi at home. But, when I travel outside my home I want the phone to automatically switch to back to cell tower WITHOUT constantly scanning and thus killing my battery. I know this is possible with the BB Torch. Is there an app for this?

Advertisement

2. zflamewing

zflamewing Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2011
    NOC/IT Professional
    Atl
    I haven't used it but as I understand it tasker can change various settings and toggles based off several factors one of which is GPS locations. So you could set it to disable Wi-Fi when not at the house or places you know you like to use Wi-Fi. I'd do a search for tasker on here to learn more. It's not a free app but from what I understand it's pretty powerful and might be what you're looking for. This is just my take for what it's worth.

jpal723 likes this.
  3. mac1679

mac1679 Well-Known Member

Nov 15, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I have both but you can use either one to complete the task. Tasker is a little more advanced/complicated to use, but there is tons of forum help available. Locale is easier to use if you want to keep it simple. They are both paid apps and a bit pricey, but they are effective and you will probably end up using it for more than just your current situation.

4. chall80

chall80 Well-Known Member

Sep 28, 2011
    Mechanical/Electrical Designer
    Cypress, TX
    I'm just cheap I guess...when i walk out the door at home, I pull down the quick settings and turn off wi-fi. I know that its not automated, but I'm always aware of where I am, and what data I should be using...2 second free fix....

5. woodsytattooman

woodsytattooman Well-Known Member

Aug 2, 2010
    auto detailer
    ohio
    I just use the toggle widget that came with beautiful widgets.You can also use the power widget that comes stock on the phone.1 click :)

Tags: