1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Wifi sharing from laptop to Nexus 4

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hamstars, Dec 28, 2012.

1. hamstars

hamstars Lurker

Hi there!
    I'm a new android user...I've just got my Nexus 4 and am now trying to connect it to the wifi shared from my laptop (ad hoc connection).
    I'm using WEP and the connection can be easily done with my previous ipod touch...
    but now my Nexus 4 can't even detect the wifi signal...:thinking:
    Does anyone have a clue how to solve this?

Thanks a lot!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Shengxin

Shengxin Well-Known Member

In your WI-FI settings, when you enable WI-FI and Network Notification, do you see your wireless network?

You mentioned you are using WEP, did you set up some advanced settings like MAC address filtering if you cannot see the network? If so, you need to add IP address of your new phone to the allowed list of your WI-FI router.

If you can see the network, you can click it then set up the password then connect.

You should be able to easily set up the WI-FI connectivity. It is pretty easy with all the Android phones.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Shengxin

3. hamstars

hamstars Lurker

My nexus just shows 'searching for wifi networks...' on the screen despite the fact that the ipod could connect to the wifi.

I didn't set up anything else other than simply creating the ad hoc connection, giving it a name and password and then allowing for ISC on my laptop.

My Nexus doesn't seem to have an IP address but a Wifi Mac address...

sigh still really confused...but thanks for the quick reply!

4. Shengxin

Shengxin Well-Known Member

So it is an ad hoc connection instead of the traditional 802.11b/g wireless connection.

Depending on the capabilities of your smartphone, you may find it easier to set up your phone as a Wi-Fi hotspot and connect the laptop to that. Check whether it is possible on your phone by opening Settings and selecting More, 'Tethering and portable hotspots' and enabling 'Portable Wi-Fi hotspot'.

Pcworld the_ultimate_android_tethering_guide.html (The ultimate Android tethering guide | PCWorld) gives more introduction.

Hope this helps.

Regards,
    Shengxin

5. Hook

Hook Ever since DU... ;-)

You need to connect the phone to the same router that your laptop connects to, not the laptop. Scan for the network and connect to it.

6. hamstars

hamstars Lurker

It's reverse tethering that I'm trying to do...
    I'm now sharing my laptop's internet through Intel ProSET My Wifi and my ipod could connect to it without any problem...
    It's just Nexus4 that's not behaving.
    I've even tried this mhotspot - Turn your Laptop into a Wifi Hotspot - YouTube which doesn't seem to help...

Thanks anyway!

7. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Android Expert

Android does not support ad hocs. There are loads of complaints about it but for some reason google wont add ad hoc support

hamstars likes this.
  8. chrlswltrs

chrlswltrs Extreme Android User

This is the one thing that iOS does that Android can not. I have an iPhone fanboy friend that loves to point that out every time I see him.

hamstars likes this.
  9. hamstars

hamstars Lurker

But how about Wifi Direct? I heard that it might work for androids using that...though I haven't got a clue how to set up the whole thing...
    I do have the Intel My Wifi Dashboard on my laptop.

10. stevemw

stevemw Lurker

What I'm getting from your post is that your laptop has a wired Internet connection and you want to connect the N4 to the laptop via WiFi in order to share that connection. Am I even close?

11. hamstars

hamstars Lurker

Yes Steve! That's exactly what i mean! ;)

12. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Android Expert

Sorry man but it cant be done via adhoc you will have to find another way. Adhocs have never been supported on android devices.

13. andrews317

andrews317 Android Enthusiast

I had an HTC before and it had a function in which you could passthrough internet connectivity from your computer to the phone via USB. It worked a lot for me while at the office. I think this is an exclusive Sense function.

[​IMG]
    (Ignore the error message at the right)

Is that possible on the Nexus 4?

14. chrlswltrs

No, as stated in the previous post this has never been possible on Android, including the Nexus 4.

It may have been present on a Sense phone, but it is not on an Android phone.

15. andrews317

andrews317 Android Enthusiast

A Sense phone with Android.

I thinks this would just be possible flashing a Sense rom on the N4, but that would make no sense. If anyone else knows a way to share internet connectivity from PC the N4 please let me know.

16. Liamo_210

Liamo_210 Android Expert

The sense way is by a wired connection

17. hamstars

hamstars Lurker

There're only a number of options available for Wireless & Networks on N4:
    VPN, tethering & portable hotspot, NFC, Android beam, mobile networks and mobile broadcasts.
    I think the tethering is only for sharing the mobile's internet to other devices but not vice versa?! :-/

18. stevemw

stevemw Lurker

19. chrlswltrs

20. jumboshrimps

jumboshrimps Lurker

Please stop saying Android doesn't support ad-hoc connection.

I have a Nokia E5 which does ad-hoc wifi through the app joikuspot

Here's some examples I've tried personally

Working models, no rooting necessary:
    Motorola Droid Razr and Razr Maxx (1st gen)
    ASUS TF300 tablet

Does not work on:
    Droid Incredible (1st gen)
    Nexus 7 (1st gen)
    Kindle Fire (it's android underneath the skin)

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews