• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi showing networks from previous location

I've had my phone for almost 2 years now and for the past 4 months or so if I go anywhere near my work place my phone has an brain fart and forgets how to refresh the WiFi listing. The only way I have found to fix this is to reboot my phone. I know it is not a network issue, I connect to other networks all the time. But I do not connect at work. Anyone have any ideas?

I have no concrete ideas, no. How about if you toggle WiFi off and back on again, rather than just reboot?

If you go into settings / wifi and hit the three dot menu control bottom right, I believe there is a setting to access your stored access points, and from there you can drag them around to change the priority, or even delete them. Maybe moving the work SSID up in the list to make it higher priority will help?

Upvote 0
One more thing to try is a wipe of the cache partition. See https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/95478/p/30,6720,8882 for instructions. This will not wipe any data from your phone, but it can fix issues like this.

Do you have auto-discovery of WiFi networks turned on? Auto connect to networks that you already have stored? If yes to that second question, do you have any that are named with the default names of routers that might have no security (ie, Netgear, Linksys)? If so, I'm wondering if your phone is connecting to some random Netgear/Linksys network as you travel to work and somehow never drops the connection (or never thinks that it's dropped the connection.)

There were some people who were reporting issues with an app called Gas Buddy a couple of months ago, which prevented reconnecting to any WiFi networks. If you have that app, try uninstalling to see if it fixes it? (You'd have to restart the phone after uninstalling.)

Any other apps that you use while you commute to work that might be using network resources? Waze or something like that?

(I'm obviously just throwing out ideas here before suggesting the ultimate "back everything up, do a factory data reset, and set the phone up again.")

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones