• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi signal strength fluctuates

H00per

Lurker
Oct 31, 2010
Hi all, 1st time android owner..... have been an avid iphone user for the past 2 years, but with having went through 4 iphone 4 handsets and still not happy i decided to make the jump.

anyhow, on to the matter in hand, is anyone having wifi signal strength issues?

If i'm close to the router. i.e 5-10feet and line of sight, it works fine, with 3 bars. but if i move farther away say into my kitchen, 20ft and through plasterboard walls it will drop to 2 bars. this is understandable, but it will then fluctuate between no bars, to 3, then to 1 then 2, then 3, then..... you get the drift.

i can accept strength deterioration with distance, but for it to be so erratic i find it a bit strange.

i have changed the channel my router broadcasts on and it hasn't made any difference.

other than that very happy with the phone, just getting used to Android.

Is anyone else noticing this with their wifi??

all my other devices have a constant strength, be it 1, 2 or 3 bars and no erratic behaviour.

is it faulty wifi, should i sent it back to Amazon for a replacement?? or is it just the way it is?

any thoughts welcome.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones