1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wifi Sleep Policy!?!?!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GuMbO2008, Aug 26, 2011.

1. GuMbO2008

GuMbO2008 Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    Okay i've been searching around trying to get as much ideas to conserve my battery because some of you know from my last thread that i said i was going camping for three days. Well i did a bunch of searching and ended up finding this thing called "Wifi Sleep Policy" which to me seems hidden in the HTC Inspire.

Go to Settings > Wireless and Networks > Wifi Settings > Then press the Menu Button > Then Choose "Advance".

As you can see there is a thing called Wifi Sleep Policy. I have never noticed that before and what i have read is that if you choose one of the 3 settings it will configure your phone so that after a few minutes not using your phone that it will AUTOMATICALLY turn off the wifi. Which will greatly increase your battery life.

What are your thoughts? I want to know more about this but obviously i have no experience using this. I hope you guys know about this.

Advertisement

2. Saltine713

Saltine713 Android Enthusiast
    None

Sep 7, 2010
    Podcaster
    NY
    I would think you would know how to shut of the wifi yourself either thru the widget or the notif. bar.

3. GuMbO2008

GuMbO2008 Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    Well sorry I'm not perfect that i would remember to turn it off everytime i'm not using it.

4. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    I believe an app called Tasker might be of use to you. It is $7 though but has a lot of functionality. You can set it to toggle wifi on off or the sleep policy. A friend of mine has his set to turn wifi off as soon as he leaves his house (out of range from his wifi) then it turns back on when he is home.

I tend to leave my wifi on all the time as I usually have wifi access.

5. sharksfan7

sharksfan7 Android Enthusiast
    None

Aug 8, 2011
    San Diego, CA
    If your primary concern is battery life, then yeah, I guess having wifi automatically turned off could be beneficial. You may also want to go into Mobile Network Settings and make sure "Data Roaming" and "Enable always-on mobile data" are unchecked. The reason i have the wifi sleep policy set to "Never" is b/c I would rather use wifi than my mobile network, when it's available. If I happen to have both on then set my phone down for a while and wifi shuts off automatically, I may not realize it's off when I go to use it again and may use up my data plan and end up with overages. I'm more likely to remember to turn it off when I'm not using it, than to turn it back on when I'm connected via mobile.

If you're going to be so far in the wild you most likely won't have access to wifi anyway. So just turn it off before you set out and leave it off. Same could probably be said about the mobile network. I may be wrong, but I think they draw more power if they are constantly searching for a network to connect to than staying connected to a readily available network. You may not even get cell service where you're going. So might as well just turn off the phone entirely. Just turn it on when you need it.

I've had my Inspire for about 3 weeks now. For the first couple of weeks I was constantly playing with it, seeing what everything does, downloading apps, customizing it, watching videos on it even though I was sitting at my computer. I was getting about 8 hours of use out of a full charge and was pretty disappointed with that. The thing that consumed the most power was the display, consistently using close to 80% of the battery, even with the brightness turned down to <25%. For the past few days, I've just let it be and only used it when I needed. Only a few short calls, a few sms, a bit of browsing. It's been on battery for close to 43 hours! Wifi has been turned on for about 25 of those hours. I'm actually shocked at how long this is lasting. And this is a stock phone (no root, no custom ROM).

So my point is, if you're going to be in an area where there's no wifi, no cell service and no data network to connect to, the only reason to have the phone on is to use the apps that don't need either of those things to operate, (eg. games, camera, play video/music). All these things (except the music, I guess) will require having the display on and will drain your battery faster. If that's the case, having wifi and mobile network on probably won't make that much of a difference...Bottom line (and I know this is obvious), the less things you have running and the less you actually use the phone, the longer the battery will last. So decide for yourself what you want the phone to be used for while on your trip and understand that certain things will drain the battery faster than others.

Saltine713 likes this.
  6. GuMbO2008

GuMbO2008 Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    Thanks for the advice.

ZeroRilix likes this.