1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support wifi solution?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Troglodad, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Troglodad

Troglodad Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 22, 2009
    My captivate says its connected to my home router but i cant get pages to load.

I see a lot of pages about this issue. Any solutions?

Advertisement

2. jetpuck73

jetpuck73 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 20, 2011
    Trenton, MI.
    Did you try rebooting your router?

3. Troglodad

None

Jan 22, 2009
    You know what... I didn't try that.... I went into the various router settings and played with them, but didn't think to try a router reset. I'll give it a shot tonight and report... but from my reading online there is a problem with the wifi config file. One site suggested rooting the phone and manually erasing the config, then rebooting the phone. Not sure I want to try that.

4. Troglodad

None

Jan 22, 2009
    Could the wifi issue have anything to do with timing out? I read from this site:

Data Usage - CapFAQ

The following:

The default configuration for the Captivate is to disable the wifi when the phone goes to "sleep" in order to save battery power. An unfortunate side-effect of this is that when you're in an area with wifi (like at home), any background apps doing data transfers will be forced to switch to EDGE/3G which will then count against your data plan. A common time for this to happen is at night.
    All users are advised to make the following settings change: Menu -> Settings -> Wireless and network -> Wifi settings -> Menu -> Advanced -> Wi-Fi sleep policy -> Never.

I wonder if the phone is turning off the wifi immediately after making a connection.... have to try this at home tonight

sremick likes this.
  5. Dante04SRT

Dante04SRT Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    Most likey a problem with your router/modem if your phone is showing connected but you can't get anywhere...

Have you tried any other WiFi devices on the router to confirm that it is working properly?

6. Troglodad

None

Jan 22, 2009
    Okay, here's a recap:

I have AT&T DSL, with a 2Wire Router/modem

I use this to connect my Wii, Laptop and both kids' DSis. No problems.

I got the Samsung Captivate on Feb 13th. It worked fine on the 2Wire for a couple of days. Now it "connects" but when I try to access a webpage it immediately, without trying to connect, goes to a white-background page that tells me there is a problem, check my connections, etc. etc. It's like the Router is off or not connected to the internet. But it still is.

Router is on WEP.

I turned off the phone's Wifi powersaving timeout function. Problem persists.

I turned off the router, waited, turned it back on. Eureka! it worked beautifully for over a half hour. I sleep-moded the phone. Maybe 15 minutes later, I remembered somethign I wanted to read, and went back to the browser. Once again, I get no connectivity.

Clearly, the problem is THE PHONE. Not the Router. It's a new phone, so I doubt I'm out of memory or anything.

I'm wondering if there is some spyware in an app I downloaded that's blocking a port or something. Do we have that problem with Android? I've had that problem with Windows- like the damned Quicktime phantom update program QTTask that likes to run silently in the bckground...

7. Troglodad

None

Jan 22, 2009
    So I tried to get a trouble ticket created at AT&T. But I had to go through the customer service chimps. because you CANNOT email AT&T. Here's my wonderful chat with the technical illiterate Carolyn:

Please wait for a chat representative to respond.
    Welcome to AT&T Total Care Chat. My name is 'Carolyn Davis' and I

8. kcau

kcau Member
    None

Nov 11, 2010
    Ottawa, Ont., Canada

I have read of wifi connection problems in several forums ... i think it's fairly common with this phone.

Turn the phone completely off then on and see if you connect.... that's the long fix for me.

The short fix is swiping the menu at the top edge down, turning wifi OFF, then 3 seconds later ON ..... connectivity again.

The wifi seems to SLEEP no matter if its set to NEVER in the settings menu.

See if this helps.

KC

9. sremick

sremick Android Expert
    None

Jun 18, 2010
    IT Admin
    USA
    Just an aside:

WEP is no longer security. It has been cracked wide-open for years. Any highschool kid who knows how to use Google could break your password and freeload off your internet connection in a matter of minutes.

Switch to WPA, or better yet, WPA2.

10. LSUSUPERSTAR

LSUSUPERSTAR Newbie
    None

Aug 5, 2010
    Chemist
    Lewisville, TX
    I just recently started having trouble with WIFI connectivity. My phone will show it is connected but I get no internet. My solution is to put it in "flight mode" and then take it out. This is a real pain in the ass. I have the WIFI set to never sleep. I am running the stock OS. I've never had any of the GPS or other problems with the phone (I got it the 2nd day it was out). Do you think rooting the phone would fix the issue? It is just soooo frustrating.:mad: