• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi stays awake even though I have it set to sleep

lickwidravr

Android Enthusiast
Nov 10, 2011
I haven't been able to find a solution or even a topic regarding this but both mine and my fiances S4's have extreme battery drain if we leave Wifi on and we aren't connected to a wifi hotspot. We both had wifi set to not be "awake" when its off of the charger and it just destroys battery, stays awake all day.

When we check battery usage it shows a solid blue bar for wifi awake and our phones even stay warm.

Any solutions besides having it never be awake?

Verizon GS4 one is white one is black

I feel like a total dolt here, but I don't see where you can set it to do that. (Which is to say, I don't see it as a wi-fi setting or under one of the power saving modes.) If you've got it set up to do that via tasker or something, maybe there's a problem in that app. ???

In any event, there is certainly a solution besides never having it be awake. You can turn Wi-Fi on manually when you want, and off when you don't. I even downloaded myself one "Wifi Toggle Widget," which sits happily on my home screen* -- and just hit it to turn Wifi on or off. I particularly like it as it is color-coded -- green when on; red when off. Simple as pie, and that way I always know if my wifi is on (wasting battery) looking for a network when there isn't one.

*Eagle-eyed readers may note I was recently opposed to such toggle widgets. But I picked up the Bluetooth one, and it worked so perfectly, I followed up with the Wi-Fi to save myself some screen-taps.

Upvote 0
Wifi>Menu Key>Advanced> "Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep: 1-Always, 2-Only when plugged in, 3-Never (increases data use)

My issue is when its set to option 2-Only when plugged in, it still stays awake 24/7 an keeps the phone awake which drains battery.

No third party app is being used here, on all of my past Android phones (10+ multiple manufacturers) having this option set would allow Wi-Fi to sleep when i'm not using the phone, aka not looking for any connection while it's sitting in my pocket or on my desk unused.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones