• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help wifi stopped working

can anyone help

all of a sudden my wifi connection has stoped working-its been absolutely fine i havent updated lately and was using it jsut a couple of days ago

the connection is fine off my router as im online right now on my mac

any help?

Hello Gabbyevs!

Have you updated from Froyo (2.2.1) to Gingerbread (2.3)? There have been quite a few that have complained about WIFI issues since the update.

Apparently it is a Google issue (not an HTC one)... there are a few work arounds at the moment, while we wait for them to sort it out. Have you tried to set a static IP address for your DHD? Also - if your WIFI signal drops too low and you have 3G turned on as well, then the phone switches, which can cause you to loose connection.

I've had the same conversation in the last day or so with someone... I'll find it and put a link in this post! :)

EDIT - here's the thread where someone has mentioned, amongst other things, the WIFI issue http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-...540-problems-since-upgrading-gingerbread.html - at least you're not alone!!

Reactions: gabbyevs
Upvote 0
hi there

yes i updated but that was while ago now and i havent had any probs since till now-im a bit thick when it comes to the technical bit so how do change the address to make it static?

i have just seen the other thread sorry for the duplicate i have wifi analyzer it says -60 for strngth is that correct?

Upvote 0
hi there

yes i updated but that was while ago now and i havent had any probs since till now-im a bit thick when it comes to the technical bit so how do change the address to make it static?

Don't worry - I'm not great at technical stuff either... I've just picked up quite a bit from other people on here!! :D

Here's a how to on static IP addresses:

First up, connect to your desired network.

Settings -> Wireless & Networks -> WiFi Settings -> Menu (the button at the bottom of the handset) -> Advanced Settings -> Tick the box which says "Use Static IP".

You'll then need to enter the options specific to that network.

The screen should look like this -

IP.png

If you're connected to a network, the IP address you're currently using will already be displayed (as it is in the top of the picture), enter that into the IP address pull down.

Your gateway will be the internal IP address of your networks router. You can get this by accessing a PC, going to the start menu, typing CMD and pressing enter. In the DOS window which opens, type ipconfig and press enter. You'll see a load of info displayed, you're looking for something called Default Gateway, take a note of that then enter it into Gateway section on the phone.

Netmask will always be 255.255.255.0

I think you can leave DNS blank as DNS should be handled by the default gateway.

The above may or may not fix the issue, but give it a shot and report back either way.

If that helps, click thanks on El Presidente's post (in this thread - http://androidforums.com/desire-hd-support-troubleshooting/345055-desire-hd-wifi-problem.html), as I can't take credit for that!!

i have just seen the other thread sorry for the duplicate i have wifi analyzer it says -60 for strngth is that correct?

Don't apologise... everyone needs to start somewhere - we're here to help!! :)

Upvote 0
thanks again for your quick response

sorry to complicate further i dont have a pc im on a mac and have no idea where to start with that

Didn't realise that you were PC-less... I've no idea when it comes to using a mac, but this could help How to Find Your IP Address on a Mac - wikiHow - not sure if that is the correct way to do it... you'll get an IP address, just don't know if it'd be the correct thing... give it a go and, if it doesn't work, you can always turn "static IP" off, as it shouldn't cause any harm to the phone,

If I have got the above wrong, then I'm sure someone will let us know!! :)

Upvote 0
i managed to find out all the correct addresses through my router server

thanks so much for your help its worked i shall go and thank el on the other thread aswell

thanks for your patience with me really appreciate it

Honestly, not a problem - like to try and help people out where possible!!

Glad you got it sorted!! :)

Upvote 0
and just to add i assume this wont work with any wifi just my own?

Unfortunately, yes, I think that it will mean that you only have access to your own WIFI.

I guess you can turn off Static IP and then turn it back on when you are at your place.

Hopefully Google will realise that their software has an issue and will get some kind of fix done soon!! :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones