1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wifi stops working when screen turns off, even though it still thinks it is connected

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by jusmee, Jan 2, 2012.

1. jusmee

jusmee Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    To be clear, this is NOT a Wifi stability problem. When the tablet screen is on, it works perfectly all day.

I have it set to never disconnect, but even so, when the screen turns off for a while, and I wake it up again, the wifi has stopped communicating - despite the operating system still showing it still has a good connection, data just will not flow until I manually turn Wifi off on the tablet, then back on again.

This is on a Motorola Xoom 32GB Wifi only model, running Honeycomb 3.2.

Advertisement

2. CdTDroiD

CdTDroiD Android Enthusiast
    None

Have you set wifi to not sleep when screen of in advanced settings

3. jusmee

jusmee Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    As I say above "I have it set to never disconnect". The icon still shows it as connected when I turn the screen back on in fact. It seems Android still thinks it is connected. Problem is, something in it's internals has seized and no data is flowing.

4. CdTDroiD

CdTDroiD Android Enthusiast
    None

Well run a logcat from when you sleep the tablet to 45sec - 1Min after and post it somewhere, ill have a look if you like se if theres anything in it

5. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Do you have a battery saver app like Juice Defender or Green Power?

6. jusmee

jusmee Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    OK, how do I do it?

I just installed an app called Catlog-logcat. Will that capture it? Should I post it here, or is there sensitive info in it?

7. jusmee

jusmee Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    I am not currently running anything like that as I found most of them to not help much. Is there a chance something didn't uninstall properly when I tried them? (I have not rooted the tablet so I thought things would be fairly safe)

8. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    No not really, its just those things, if not set up properly, tend to kill data when screen is off. Actually battery saver apps only work for those who are using much data (like me, autosync and always connected to network internet, having one gives me an extra 5hrs juice compared to without).

9. jusmee

jusmee Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    I just did a quick test running the logcat app. Left it in screen-off state for 2 minutes, but when I woke it, Wifi was still working. I think I need to leave it asleep a little longer than that before it fails.

10. jusmee

jusmee Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011

Yes, Wifi uses such a small percentage of battery for me, I may as well leave it on. I just am trying to avoid the annoyance of it dieing and having to toggle the wifi state off/on to get it talking again.

11. jusmee

jusmee Member
    None

Jan 26, 2011
    I just managed to capture a log over a time period where it loses communication. It happened about 40 minutes after the screen went off. Up until then, various things were talking OK - such as email, and the Wifi showed regular group rekeying events.

The first evidence it had stopped taking was a timeout when my eBay app tried to use the Wifi connection. There were no errors up until this timeout. I don't really think the ebay app caused it, but I have uninstalled it for now as a test.