1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

WiFi sucks?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by willywonkaisrsh, Oct 8, 2010.

1. willywonkaisrsh

willywonkaisrsh Active Member

Oct 4, 2010
    I have had my Droid for the past 3 days. It is rooted with 2.2 and has a Chevy kernel.

It may just be me or the fact that I havent had enough time with the phone but...

it seems like the WiFi is kinda flakey. It seems to have a weaker connection then it should, seems to disconnect for no reason, and sometimes has a hard time connecting at all.

Are these common for the Droid? If so is their a fix?

Advertisement

2. smpage

smpage Well-Known Member

Aug 3, 2010
    works fine for me.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    You should do some testing, first. just as an example, I had major issues with my WiFi at home, until I figured out that every SSID in my vicinity, even those I didn't have access to, were all broadcasting on the same channel (most routers seem to default to Channel 6, even if set to 'scan' mode) and that can cause major issues.

I had actually dug out an older router to dedicate to my DROID as my current GamerLounge was simply not playing nicely - worked well with my laptop, but not the DROID.

After I installed the app Wifi Analyzer - Android app on AppBrain I saw all three of the routers at my home were on the same channel - moved my GamerLounge to a manual setting of Channel 1, and found I could take out the old router completely now - I get connectivity through out my house, and this is the speed test I did last night, in a room about 60' away from the router (and around 2 turns of a hallway, no direct line of sight whatsoever):

[​IMG]

My connection routinely gives me ~22-25 Mbps, on a wired computer with a Gigabit Ethernet backbone, so to get ~14 Mbps on wireless is pretty amazing.

A bit of troubleshooting:

1. Do you own / manage the WiFi connection that you're trying to use?
    2. Are there other WiFi connections in your area that you DROID can see?
    3. If no to #1, is there one that you can test that either you or a friend of yours owns / manages so that you can test the connectivity of your DROID?

HTH