• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi suddenly stopped seeing connections

adding2n2is5

Dec 24, 2009
Was using wireless just fine for the past month up to about an hour ago. My router is still working and my laptop is working just fine through wireless so nor sure what the problem is. I tried turning the wireles@ on phone off and on.. no change. Tried powering off and,on... no change. Any ideas?

I've had the Hero for over a month and it's been great. Connected to wireless networks all over the place.

Then suddenly it stops. Mobile network is fine, but wireless doesn't see any networks when it scans, so it thinks there's nothing to connect to. Wifi Buddy app says the same: no networks in range. There are *lots* of networks in range: my PDA and my laptop are connecting just fine, but not the Hero.

Something just suddenly failed. Is this a known hardware fault, or some other bug, or is the phone simply faulty?

A colleague has a Hero which developed another (unrelated) fault, so he took it back to the telco's store and they sent it away for repair and kept it for 6 weeks, instead of just giving him a new one there and then. I'd rather avoid this if possible.

Upvote 0
Try deleting any wireless APs that you don't use regularly. I remember reading a while back about someone with a similar problem and this restored normal function. IIRC it was a BT Openzone AP entry that he reckoned was the culprit.

Thanks, this did the trick. I was away at a conference when it stopped working, but it never occurred to me that it might the the hotel's poxy wifi setup. I deleted their stored connection and suddenly it all came back to life.

For the curious, the hotel had two open networks, one named after the hotel, the other called "VPN". Neither supported ssh, as it turned out, and the only reason I had tried the VPN one was because I discovered the other one didn't support ssh. I have no idea what the settings for the VPN one were, but clearly whatever it did to the wifi settings has now been undone.

Hotel networks suck anyway, but this is the first time I've had one freeze a device's scanning.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones