• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wifi Tehter & OTA not working on my EVO Root

mr504

Lurker
Jun 7, 2010
I just downloaded the OTA, for a root Evo, and the WiFi tethering app, isn't working. I"m getting a "Unable to start tethering. Please try again"

Is anyone having this problem. I've check the google code site, and it seems that the wifi tethering isn't working after OTA.

What do you think... Any help ?

I just downloaded the OTA, for a root Evo, and the WiFi tethering app, isn't working. I"m getting a "Unable to start tethering. Please try again"

Is anyone having this problem. I've check the google code site, and it seems that the wifi tethering isn't working after OTA.

Are you still rooted?

Did you accept the OTA update or did you flash the Supersonic 3.29.651.5 DEODEXED Zip?

If you flashed the Zip and still have root, try a different version of the Wireless Tether. Pre-9 would connect with my laptop but not give me access to the internet. I tried Pre-8 and it works like a champ!

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

Reactions: 3VO
Upvote 0

I hope that you didn't accept the OTA from your phone via HTC/Sprint. If you were rooted, you should have chosen a ROM from any developers on here or XDA to keep root and wifi tether. Most of the time when a new OTA comes out it takes the developers maybe a day to update their ROMS so we stay current and keep root.

If you DID accept OTA from Sprint, you may need to root again.
If you didn't, I solved my problem by uninstalling wireless tether app that came with the ROM and re-installing the APK again. I stayed on the pre8 and it is working fine

Upvote 0
I hope that you didn't accept the OTA from your phone via HTC/Sprint. If you were rooted, you should have chosen a ROM from any developers on here or XDA to keep root and wifi tether. Most of the time when a new OTA comes out it takes the developers maybe a day to update their ROMS so we stay current and keep root.

If you DID accept OTA from Sprint, you may need to root again.
If you didn't, I solved my problem by uninstalling wireless tether app that came with the ROM and re-installing the APK again. I stayed on the pre8 and it is working fine

Yeah, I finally got it sorted out. I had to re-root using Unrevoked, then installed Unrevoked forever, to prevent the OTA zip file from unrooting the phone.

Then somehow, I reran the Unrevoked, and now everything works. Super, Wifi, ..Rom Manager..

So its fix, stumbled upon it. but it working..

Just Flash Fresh and a new radio.. so yeah its rooted

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones