• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi tether and Windows 7

I need some help getting wifi tether to work properly on my windows 7 laptop. I've searched around tried a couple of different suggestions but nothing works. When I start tethering I can see the SSID pop up on my laptop, I can connect and if I have Access control enabled on the settings I can see my laptop connect however I have no internet access. Here's what i've done so far

- Tried different channels
- Tried different ssids
- Tried open and encrypted connections
- Made sure I'm using DHCP and not static IP
- I have android.tether folder in sdcard (/sdcard/android.tether) which contains the .bin file as well as the apk file.
- I'm able to connect just fine with a laptop using Vista

I'm inclined to say it's an issue with my laptop, are there any other settings anyone else has tried?

One thing that I noticed is that the IP for my default gateway, dhcp server, and dns server are all 192.168.2.254 which doesn't seem right. So I have local access but no internet access, I just get the little yellow triangle over the signal strength bars all the time. Any suggestions?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones