• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WIFI tether autoconnect

tmproff

May 3, 2010
Long time lurker, but 1st post! I rooted my phone about a month ago using BB v1.0 and loving it. The major reason I rooted was for the wifi tether. My situation might be a bit different than other people that are using wifi tether, since I'm connecting to my car (www.mp3car.com). Using the app wifi tether, I can easily connect to a network manually, but everytime I turn off my car, it obviously looses connection. When I turn my car back on, I have to MANUALLY reconnect. I am using Windows 7 and have created the profile that's supposed to reconnect automatically, but it never does. I believe that since this isn't a real wifi hotspot and just an adhoc network, that this automatic connection isn't possible with just Windows 7 networking settings.

Has anyone had any success getting your wifi tether to automatically connect to their laptop when you turn it on?

Thanks for your help,
-Troy

Well it looks like I answered my own question:

The following command is helpful in connecting the adhoc networks automatically.

netsh wlan connect name=Profile2 ssid=SSID2 interface="Wireless Network Connection"

ssid - SSID of the wireless network.
name - Name of the profile to be used in connection attempt.
interface - Name of the interface from which connection is attempted.

To connect to any network automatically do the following

1. open the startup folder of the current user

eg. C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Wind ows\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

2. create a shortcut

Right click

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones