1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Wifi tether not working

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by theTrashcanMan, Dec 17, 2011.

1. theTrashcanMan

theTrashcanMan Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2010
    Downtown to hell
    Ok guys, I have been using wifi tether since I originally rooted my phone a year ago. It always worked well, even when I upgraded to the newest betas. A couple of days ago I needed to take my phone into sprint for repairs so I unrooted. After I took it in, I re-rooted using revolutionary and flashed fresh 4.3.3 and installed wifi tether. Since then it won't work anymore. I've installed several different versions of the program from the website, it installs fine. The program runs fine, I can adjust all the settings, start it up and see the network on my tablet and computer. When I connect my tablet it says it is connecting but never does, on my computer I get the yellow triangle. On the app, it never registers any connected devices in the access control screen. I have had to resort to using the unlocked sprint tethering app from the rom that I'm using. I know that sprint has started to crack down on tethering by blocking the apps and I even saw someone on here say they got cancelled out of nowhere. Is it possible that that is the problem? Could they block the app that way? I am using about 5-7 gb of data a month, by tethering my tablet at work. Not dl anything crazy, just playing ipad games and surfing the internet, but I feel like they can track my activities easier if I am using their app vs a 3rd party.
    The bottom line is, does anybody know why wifi tether would act like this? Should I quit tethering for a while? Any advise on this would be appreciated.

Edit: ok, I downloaded barnacle and got it working, so I'm assuming that it is just wifi tether being sketchy. Still, what do you guys think about continuing to tether? Anybody here know if/when sprint starts looking into usage and if they can tell if I am tethered?

Advertisement

2. Granite1

Granite1 Zercron Encrusted Tweezer
    None

Dec 27, 2010
    Male
    Highway Construction Inspection
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I believe I just read a user on here who got the boot for using around 29 gigs with a torent. If you're under the 20gig Mark I don't even think they'll look. I may be wrong, I never saw an actual # that they watch.

As long as It's in network data you should be ok. If It's roaming data, they'll give you the boot before long.

Tags: