1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wifi tether won't work?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by apkbuccsfan, Oct 23, 2011.

1. apkbuccsfan

apkbuccsfan Newbie
    None

May 30, 2011
    hey everyone... I have a rooted indulge and i have tried every app for wifi tether with no luck. Can someone please help? I tried Wifi Tether V3.12, Barnacle, Open Garden, and more!! Thank you!

Advertisement

2. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    First: Are you positive that you are rooted? If so,
    Second: Are you getting root level access request from the apps?
    If yes, make sure to check Remember and allow.
    if no, and you didn't grant them permanent access before, open superuser and clear the entries for those apps and try again.
    Third: Are you selecting the right profiles? For example, in wifi-tether you must select Samsung Indulge, or if your version does not have that entry, Samsung Epic 4g.
    Fourth: make sure the device you are connecting to is not defective and has the right credentials for your network. (The SSID, passphrase you entered in the tethering app)
    if you are tethering to another phone, be aware that some devices cannot connect to ad hoc networks. Open Garden and Barnacle are ALWAYS ad hoc, wifi-tether can be both ad hoc or infrastructure, depending on how you set it up.

That is all the help I can provide you, unless you give us more info on your specific problems. (Which app are you currently trying / which device are you trying to connect / what type of settings you chose...)

3. Vizsla_Buddy

Vizsla_Buddy Lurker
    None

Apr 17, 2010
    Perhaps you can help me. I have a rooted phone with Open Garden and Barnacle. With both Apps, I can launch and get a successful message. I go to my PC and see the SSID. However, I can't connect. HOWEVER, when I go to my wife's iPad, it connects fine.

The phone is Samsung Droid Charge with Gingerbread (2.3.6). The PC is XP. I use it on networks everywhere.

Any thoughts welcome. Thanks in advance.

:)

4. tiede

tiede Android Expert
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Male
    curious, aren't we?
    Orlando, Fl
    Your PC's firewall might be blocking the connection from succeeding.
    Disable it, and try again. If it works, then you need to lower the security level of the firewall, or add an exception rule for that connection. This setting would however depend on the firewall type you are using. So I can't be more specific on how to do this.

If your firewall is not blocking the connection, i.e you still can't connect even with all firewall settings OFF, try disabling your Anti-Virus program as well. Some, such as Avast, Kapersky or Comodo, also include Firewall software as well. Just be careful what sites you visit to test the connection while the AV and FW are turned off, since that means your computer is completely vulnerable to malicious attacks.

If that still does not work, restart windows in Safe Mode + Networking and try to see if it connects. If it does, look in your start up programs for the offending culprit by isolating them one by one.

I don't use Windows a lot, I use Ubuntu . So I can't tell you specifically the best way to access the start up applications, but if I remember correctly, aside from the obvious few in the Start->Applications->Startup folder, there are a few other hidden ones you can find by opening a Run dialog (Start->Run Command) and typing services.msc

5. nps531

nps531 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 2, 2011
    Male
    Window Tint
    DeLand, Fl