1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wifi Tether?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by diegox, Feb 19, 2011.

1. diegox

diegox Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    Hey guys I was wondering whether there is a way to create a WiFi hotspot with my active connection being a WiFi one? This is because i am not allowed to change my house's WiFi's encryption and I would like to create one compatible with my Nintendo Ds lite. Would it also be possible to do so but by cable tethering? You know, for an old pc without WiFi. Thanks guys!

Advertisement

2. Rootmepls

Rootmepls Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    NorCal
    I take it you have an HTC Desire. Just turn it into an access point on your cell carrier. Not sure who you use but if WiFi apps are banned on Google Market use this little trick to download them. A rooted phone would work best. In fact most wireless tether apps are for rooted devices.

Read this page on removing the boot lock on your phone. unrevoked

Use OneClickRoot after removing that lock. Phone should be rooted now.

1.Turn off WiFi
    2.Turn on Airplane Mode (Turns off SIM id Google allows all apps now at step 3)
    3.Turn on WiFi (hopefully your phone can connect to some wifi)
    4.Download At&t banned apps from the Market

Download Wireless Tether for Root Users for your Android phone on AppBrain

Now you can create your own Wireless AP with your phone and connect your DS to it.

3. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    Umm, Rootmepls, that isn't what he is asking.

His phone is connected to the internet using Wifi. He wants to use his phone as a hotspot to extend that Wifi connection to another Wifi capable device.

Your phone's hardware is not capable of having 2 connections at once. You can either be a hot spot, or be connected to Wifi. Not both.

4. Rootmepls

Rootmepls Android Enthusiast
    None

Jan 22, 2011
    NorCal
    OMG that has to be the most useless tip I've gotten all day. Thanks for letting me know how a WiFi connection works. ROFL@amlothi I've laid out how to turn an HTC Desire into a WiFi hotspot and use 3g as a data connection. I'm giving him an alternative to what he is doing at the moment. If he doesn't have a phone then he is in the wrong place for advice.

Try answering the OP's question next time. I don't need any lessons on WiFi. I'm running Custom firmware on my router that I won't even go into details on. I don't want to confuse you. kthanksbye!

5. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    I wasn't trying to imply that you are stupid and don't understand Wifi. However, I believe you did misunderstand what the OP was asking. I wanted to clarify what he was asking, and then answer the original question in simple terms so that the OP would understand.

He doesn't want to use 3G. He wants to share his existing Wifi connection through his phone.

It would have been more clear if you has told the OP, first, that he cannot do what he is asking. Then, you could provide the instructions for the alternative to use 3G. Otherwise, the OP might go through the process of rooting his phone only to find out that what he REALLY wanted isn't possible.

6. diegox

diegox Member
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    Whoa guys no need to fight! lol. I knew that it wasn't officially possible to use the phone as a wifi hotspot while connected to a wifi network, just didn't know whether there were unofficial means to do so... thanks for clearing that out. BTW, it's not a good idea to use the cellular connection b/c although I do have an unlimited wireless plan, it is with T-Mobile US and my imported Desire is not compatible with its 3G network, so I'm stuck on 2G, which is very slow. My bad for not pointing that out.

Now for the other part. Can i tether by cable with my wifi connection being the active one? That way, I'm technically not having 2 wifi connections at once. What do you think?

7. amlothi

amlothi Android Expert
    None

Jul 23, 2010
    You can tether through the USB cable. Internet > Phone > Computer. I don't believe you can reverse it.

The question would be whether that would work with your DS. I recall seeing some posts about certain devices not working well together for tethering. Try it and see.

Edit: It wasn't your bad. I thought your post was very clear. Then again, my brain wasn't full of "knowing everything" so I had some free space to comprehend your post. :)

Tags: