• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WiFi tethering 2.2 stock ROM

nkk

Android Expert
Mar 10, 2010
So this question is for my friend who just got a DINC. I use CM6, so I could not asnwer.

How do you get wifi tethering (free kind, of course) with the stock ROM? The app insists you pay for it, and when I tried the standard Wireless tethering app it had problems I assume were caused by the stock app. He could flash Virtuous or another stock like ROM, but staying stock would be easier. He is also pretty technologically not knowledgeable, learning only enough to understand risks and procedures as I rooted his phone.

Thanks,
Nkk

So this question is for my friend who just got a DINC. I use CM6, so I could not asnwer.

How do you get wifi tethering (free kind, of course) with the stock ROM? The app insists you pay for it, and when I tried the standard Wireless tethering app it had problems I assume were caused by the stock app. He could flash Virtuous or another stock like ROM, but staying stock would be easier. He is also pretty technologically not knowledgeable, learning only enough to understand risks and procedures as I rooted his phone.

Thanks,
Nkk

Use Wireless Tether Pre-8 or Pre-9 Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code. Only works for rooted users. But it is working great for me.

Upvote 0
You must root the Incredible in order to get free wifi tethering. You can keep the stock ROM with the rooted phone. Then you can download the "Wireless Tether" app from the Market on the rooted phone to get free wifi tether. On a stock phone, you can tether via USB cable without root.

Rooting the Incredible is SUPER easy with the new Unrevoked3. Unrevoked3 will be available again to the public to download probably by the end of day today or sometime tomorrow. (the developers took it back down a couple of days ago to fix some minor bugs they found with rooting the Evo 4G, there are no problems for the Incredible root). I just rooted my Incredible earlier today by downloading Unrevoked3 from their IRC beta test chat room. It is a VERY simple 2 step process that takes 5 minutes and doesn't require any technical expertise.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones