• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root WiFi Tethering for LG Volt

First off, has anyone had luck with wifi tether on the LG Volt yet?
I have been messing around with settings but nothing seems to actually tether. The app is able to broadcast my phone as an AP.

I am using wifi tether for android.
Ill get the rest of the details later.

Hello Rarewolf. I'm having problems with WiFi Tether Router as well. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that hidden "Tethering" menu in the Volt's "Settings" under "Wireless Networks". It shows up when you tick on "More..." and that is located below "Call" and "Share & connect" that are below the toggle switches for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Mobile Data, etc. Do you have that menu for Tethering with the toggle switches for "Wi-Fi hotspot" and "Bluetooth tethering" at the top? Bg4m3r and kwknott, I believe you do not. Am I correct?

Upvote 0
Hello Rarewolf. I'm having problems with WiFi Tether Router as well. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with that hidden "Tethering" menu in the Volt's "Settings" under "Wireless Networks". It shows up when you tick on "More..." and that is located below "Call" and "Share & connect" that are below the toggle switches for Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, Mobile Data, etc. Do you have that menu for Tethering with the toggle switches for "Wi-Fi hotspot" and "Bluetooth tethering" at the top? Bg4m3r and kwknott, I believe you do not. Am I correct?
I know I did at one point, but it seems I've uninstalled whatever was providing that as it's not there anymore. However, I never had a Wi-Fi Hotspot...just USB and Bluetooth tether, and the Share and Connect menu isn't under the More menu. Are you running CM12 or Candy? Try using the built-in WiFi Hotspot. I think it'll work...I had CM12 installed recently and turned it on and it prompted me to set SSID and passcode.

Upvote 0
I know I did at one point, but it seems I've uninstalled whatever was providing that as it's not there anymore. However, I never had a Wi-Fi Hotspot...just USB and Bluetooth tether, and the Share and Connect menu isn't under the More menu. Are you running CM12 or Candy? Try using the built-in WiFi Hotspot. I think it'll work...I had CM12 installed recently and turned it on and it prompted me to set SSID and passcode.

I'm running the Stock ZV5 Odexed. I toggled that Hotspot on after trying all kinds of configurations with WiFi Tether Router from Fabio's site, but it denied me asking for money and tried to do some sort of OTA service programming. I closed out of it and rebooted. I've been on the interwebs reading up trying to figure it out since late afternoon...

Upvote 0
I'm running the Stock ZV5 Odexed. I toggled that Hotspot on after trying all kinds of configurations with WiFi Tether Router from Fabio's site, but it denied me asking for money and tried to do some sort of OTA service programming. I closed out of it and rebooted. I've been on the interwebs reading up trying to figure it out since late afternoon...
What happens when you try to use WiFi Tether Router? It works perfectly for me on default settings, I just set SSID and passcode.

Upvote 0
What happens when you try to use WiFi Tether Router? It works perfectly for me on default settings, I just set SSID and passcode.

None of my other devices see my SSID when I enable it. I started with default settings and reboot then turn it on. Nothing. I then went to settings I found from a user post on XDA that was also working for them and rebooted. I turned it on and same thing. Nada. I went to Fabio's site and read thru it all. Tried each combo there for the LG's. No joy...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, well, it's works for me either way.
As long as your Wi-Fi is working, tether router should work also.

Wi-Fi works perfectly. All the LGs on Fabio's site use either one of the two basic settings I have tried. I know that Wi-Fi must be on when the app is enabled. I've turned it on before, during and even after launching the app with either settings and nothing. I'm dumb-founded. I guess I'll uninstall it, wipe dalvik and the cache and reinstall it.

Upvote 0
Wi-Fi works perfectly. All the LGs on Fabio's site use either one of the two basic settings I have tried. I know that Wi-Fi must be on when the app is enabled. I've turned it on before, during and even after launching the app with either settings and nothing. I'm dumb-founded. I guess I'll uninstall it, wipe dalvik and the cache and reinstall it.
WiFi doesn't need to be on when you enable it. In fact, if it is, it turns it off because it has to use the WiFi card to provide the access point.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones