• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi Tethering Not Working on My TF

Gunner:

My rooted Eris is running Wireless Tether 2.0.2. I have spent much of the past week living in the settings and I am positive that I have it set for BT, with both devices paired but not connected and the tethering started. However, the TF wrench for the paired Eris still only gives me choices of "rename" or "unpair".

Last night, I hooked up my new keyboard dock, updated the firmware, and then tried USB tethering to my Eris. The TF sees the Eris SD card as a disk drive and I can explore it with the TF File Manager. For example, I can now play my Eris ringtones on my TF (sarcasm intended). However, when I click to start tethering with Wired Tether for Root Users 1.2 on my Eris, nothing happens. The TF reports no Internet access.

Upvote 0
Gunner:

My rooted Eris is running Wireless Tether 2.0.2. I have spent much of the past week living in the settings and I am positive that I have it set for BT, with both devices paired but not connected and the tethering started. However, the TF wrench for the paired Eris still only gives me choices of "rename" or "unpair".

Last night, I hooked up my new keyboard dock, updated the firmware, and then tried USB tethering to my Eris. The TF sees the Eris SD card as a disk drive and I can explore it with the TF File Manager. For example, I can now play my Eris ringtones on my TF (sarcasm intended). However, when I click to start tethering with Wired Tether for Root Users 1.2 on my Eris, nothing happens. The TF reports no Internet access.

Wait..wait...you said, "with both devices paired but not connected and the tethering started."

I believe you need to have the devices paired and connected, then start up the tethering service. (I could be wrong; only done it once a couple weeks back)

I didn't think the USB tethering would work that way. The TF is just seeing your device's SD card (just seeing your Eris as a mass storage drive only). Wired tethering might work when ASUS releases their USB adapter for the TF's data port.

Upvote 0
Gunner:

I was having the same problem with my Droid and then realized I wasn't selecting the correct option on my TF. Make sure in the wireless settings that your going to Tethering & Portable Hotspot and activating Bluetooth Tethering, then go back to Bluetooth Settings, if you have already paired the two devices and you have the bluetooth tethering activated on your phone, you should now be able to connect the device by clicking on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones