1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Wifi Tethering works briefly, then stops working. Help needed!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by wackychimp, Apr 12, 2011.

1. wackychimp

wackychimp Lurker
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    I've only recently rooted my Moto Droid 1 and yesterday added the Google Wifi Tether app (v 2.0.7) directly from their site (not through the market - apparently that one has problems).

It worked right off but regularly drops the connection when the amount transferred gets between 5-6MB. I did some searching, made some tweaks, and have the same problem. I then decided to load Barnacle Wifi Tether too. Exact same problem! They both seem to reset after about 5 min. I have to close the app, drop the network from my laptop or iPad and then re-do everything.

Any thoughts/suggestions? Is there some setting I'm missing? I'm not finding much online.

Advertisement

2. mrterry

mrterry Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    Are you rooted on a stock ROM? I had serious issues with Barnacle- very much like your own- when I was rooted with the stock ROM. As soon as I changed ROMs (an earlier Cyanogen ROM) the tether-dropping issues went away. I now use GPA14 and still have no issues with Barnacle.

3. wackychimp

wackychimp Lurker
    None

Mar 18, 2011
    Yes, stock ROM 2.2.2.

Still working on and off... very frustrating.

4. mrterry

mrterry Well-Known Member
    None

Mar 15, 2011
    I would try switching to a new ROM and see how it goes since it seems the stock ROM doesn't play well with tethering.

5. skilaufen

skilaufen Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 24, 2010
    Something
    Somewhere
    If your on a stock ROM you can't use the Google Wifi tether as it requires something along the lines of Koush's anykernel and it will not work right with the stock Verizon ROM. It does work beautifully with custom ROMs like Mr. Terry says.

Barnacle wi-tether should work, I used it without any problems (on a stock ROM) before installing custom ROMs. Make sure that you have the Skip_WPA Supplicant checked as it won't work right if you try and use the WPA_Spupplicant. The Droid 1 only supports an ad-hoc connection.