• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Wifi Tethering

What application do you guys recommend for free wifi tethering? I've noticed sprints app is on the phone after rooting but will I be billed the $30 a month if I use it?

Most roms have the Sprint Hotspot hacked, I would try one of aamikam's roms. MikG or Mik3D. That way, no worries;)

You can also try 'Wireless Tether for Root users' or 'Barnacles' from the android market

Reactions: dustwun77
Upvote 0
Most roms have the Sprint Hotspot hacked, I would try one of aamikam's roms. MikG or Mik3D. That way, no worries;)

You can also try 'Wireless Tether for Root users' or 'Barnacles' from the android market

I can vouch for the first one, I tried it and it was great! It works with 4g as well if you are fortunate enough to be in an area that has it.

Reactions: rs3vimpwr
Upvote 0
Reactions: biggie80
Upvote 0
Stop paying for hotspot.

Also this is the app I use for hotspot, works great for 4g/3g.

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Also according to Mik's site, the hacked Sprint Hotspot does NOT connect 4g on Mik3D at least, but the way it is worded makes me assume this is normal for the app, not the rom... So I would assume 4g is not supported on the hacked app.

I kinda figured it would just wanted to make sure first. Its my only way to get internet. Going to go cancel now!!!! :D

Upvote 0
Stop paying for hotspot.

Also this is the app I use for hotspot, works great for 4g/3g.

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Wireless Tether for Root Users - Google Project Hosting

Also according to Mik's site, the hacked Sprint Hotspot does NOT connect 4g on Mik3D at least, but the way it is worded makes me assume this is normal for the app, not the rom... So I would assume 4g is not supported on the hacked app.

I haven't tried on Mik3D but 4G on MikG works just fine with the HotSpot

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yeah, somewhere in here I posted about using the wireless tether from the market and getting like 7M down on a speedtest.

In Mik3D, I would have 4G up and running and as soon as I turned on the built in hotspot, 4G would turn off and it would go to 3G.

That is what I meant by the 'first one', above too, sorry if there was confusion as to it being the hacked hotspot in the rom. :eek:

Upvote 0
ahhh i see. yeah cm7 is only 3g.

i am just exploring, really. i don't need it that often and the built in one is sufficient. it was kind of cool in M3D to try the market app and see it tether at 4g speeds.

Thing is, I don't really get 4g anywhere except in my house and I have wireless here and don't need it anyway, just playing.

I wonder if cm7's usb tether would allow it to work on 4g? Hmmm. :p

Upvote 0
i am just exploring, really. i don't need it that often and the built in one is sufficient. it was kind of cool in M3D to try the market app and see it tether at 4g speeds.

Thing is, I don't really get 4g anywhere except in my house and I have wireless here and don't need it anyway, just playing.

I wonder if cm7's usb tether would allow it to work on 4g? Hmmm. :p

i believe that cm7's wireless tethering does work on 4g.

Upvote 0
I don't have 4G in my area so I can't really contribute to the question asked... but its my thread so I can add whatever bits of info I want :D.

I successfully played call of duty on the ps3 last night using my sprint hotspot app. It was only mildly laggy, but each time I got a call or text I lost my connection :eek:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones