• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi tethering

Anyone having problems with their N4's tethering? I like to make my 3G on N4 available for use by my HP Touchpad tablet, but the tablet keeps getting disconnected from the network after every few minutes. Afterwards I have to re-enable the tethering on the N4 several times before the tablet sees the network again.

I used to do this on with my previous phone (LG 2X) on the same tablet with no problems. I've also tested that the same problem happens with the N4 and my laptop... so I really think it's something with the N4 and hopefully it can be fixed.

I'm using the stock rom, non-rooted, 4.2.2

1) Anyone notice tethering problems on the N4?

2) Will rooting or something similar help?

3) Any 3rd party apps recommended to try in case it's some issue with the OS tethering and my phone? (i know it's a longshot)

Never had this problem before. Have you tried connecting other devices than your HP? Maybe with another PC, a tablet or another phone? You should test to make sure if the phone is faulty. If it is, maybe a custom ROM or a factory reset could solve it if it's a software issue. If not, then it might be hardware problem and you should claim warranty.

Upvote 0
I have ST AT&T as well, but i'm so scared to tether because i heard that they'll disconnect your service. How long have you been tethering for, and have they disconnected your service yet?
Dont take this post as definitive of tethering policy or even as encouraging.

Tablets that use Android will be unlikely to show up as anything different then the phone, to the service provider, Ipad would probably show up as different but as it too uses mobile web(less data downloaded) it would be unlikely to cause them to terminate service. However a pc will show up as a pc and while user agent switcher will hide the true browser it will use more data.
Also even if you dont tether and you go over a certain amount of data they may cut/throttle you tethering will most likely increase your data use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones