1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Wifi tethering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Wishsong, Oct 24, 2013.

1. Wishsong

Wishsong Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2013
    I have root. Been trying to get a wireless tether app and cant seem to find one that works. Im running win 7 but it will not see the wifi broadcasting. It sees other wifi networks just not this phones. Any Help is appreciated Thanks

Advertisement

2. Ruyen

Ruyen Newbie
    None

Jul 3, 2013
    I use a App called Portable WiFi and that turns on the mobile hotspot for the phone. I have just started to use that app so not sure if that automatically triggers the extra 15 bucks a month Verizion want to charge for use of that feature. Pretty sure it doesn't but wont' know 100 percent till the first of the month. Hate asking companies just in case it is a "feature" that they don't know about and will want to fix.

3. lodom

lodom Member
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    I did ask the Verizon Salesman when I got this phone a month ago about Hotspot/tethering. He said that even though I'm now limited to 2GB per month I would still have to pay the fee if I used THIER hotspot app. But he did say that downloading an app from the Play Store and tethering is fine and wouldn't be charged as long I don't blow through the data limit. I use the above-mentioned Portable WiFi hotspot to connect my Nexus 7 and it has worked great. Your experience may differ!

4. Wishsong

Wishsong Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2013
    I will try that and see thanks again.

5. Wishsong

Wishsong Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2013
    I tried that one and still no go. I have root and laptop and nexus 7 still won't see phone

6. lodom

lodom Member
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    I don't remember having a problem with set-up. My phone is not rooted but my N7 is.

7. Ruyen

Ruyen Newbie
    None

Jul 3, 2013
    My Nexus 7 is Rooted and custom ROM so your mileage may vary. I tried a bunch of different apps for tethering but this is the only one that would work.

8. rjglenn

rjglenn Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    Firefighter, agrimechanic
    North Florida
    I use the Portable WiFi app as well. I use between 20-30 GB a month (I have an unlimited account) providing WiFi for a laptop as well as a tablet. Apparently the app activates the built in hotspot app and bypasses the entitlement check, but does not require root to function. I can't explain why it's not working for you. On the initial setup force it to channel 11, that seems to help with tricky WiFi issues.

9. Wishsong

Wishsong Lurker
    None

Oct 24, 2013
    thank you I will try that

10. space_cat

space_cat Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 26, 2013
    the internet
    I downloaded and Installed Portable Wifi by Core Technology, and in the first few attempts I couldn't get it to work. When I went to manage apps to see if I could see any details, it suddenly turned on and I'm using it right now. I don't know if it took a minute to really activate or by going to manage apps jogged something (seems doubtful)

As far as configuration, I didn't see anywhere to set a channel. If I slide down the tray when it's active and 'touch to configure' it takes me right to the default Verizon hotpost manager in 'setting's and tells me MHS (mobile hot spot) needs a subscription. Yet it continues to work for the moment.

Wishsong, are you sure you have the app by Core technology? If I do a search on my laptop at the Playstore for 'Portable Wifi' there are at least two other apps with the same name.

11. CommandoJ

CommandoJ Member
    None

Apr 18, 2012
    As is usually the case, the Verizon salesguy was wrong.

When Verizon "bought" (licensed) the 4G LTE spectrum from the FCC, part of the deal was that they were required to allow tethering at no charge - for customers who are not on the Unlimited plan.

Using Verizon's "Mobile Hotspot" app, I was just able to tether my Linux laptop to the G'Zone. It did not prompt me that I would have to pay additional subscription fees, as it did on my old 3G Commando. I do not see any extra charges on my bill for tethering.

12. unitypunk

unitypunk Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 13, 2011
    Male
    i been using the stock tethering app for a few months with no additional charges... on a 10gb family plan

13. space_cat

space_cat Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 26, 2013
    the internet
    Below is the message I get when I try to use Verizons app. 2GB per month plan. It must depend on what type of plan you have. I think on mine I have to pay $10 a month extra to allow the hotspot usage.

MHS Provisioning Required

Use of this service requires a subscriiption to Mobile Hotspot or Mobile Broadband Connect. Please contact Customer Service or dial *611 for assistance.

14. rjglenn

rjglenn Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 17, 2010
    Firefighter, agrimechanic
    North Florida
    If you are on the family data share plan, MHS is included. For those of us who are grandfathered unlimited have to pay $30/month, hack, or do without.

15. lodom

lodom Member
    None

Dec 1, 2009
    Yeah it asks me to subscribe when I try the stock app. I'm on the 2GB non-sharing plan. The 3rd party app is working great for me. Surfed YouTube for 45 minutes while waiting on my son's music lesson. Nice.

16. dcaro

dcaro Newbie
    None

Jan 2, 2014
    Male
    NY
    I'm unlimited as well, got the app and connected my kindle fire to the network, but the verizon message came up about login. Do I need to pay for the portable wifi app before it'll work? I have a rooted commando 2.3.3 m150