1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root WiFi tethering

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ohDarr, Jan 8, 2014.

1. ohDarr

ohDarr Member
    None

Jun 13, 2013
    I wanted to ask about the status of wifi tethering because i have read on a few forums on this site that we were waiting for a custom ROM/custom kernal. So I guess this is mostly directed towards game theory. Do you think you could include in your ROM the ability for us to use WiFi tethering because it is a very good feature and I'm sure everyone would love to have the option to tether without paying money. We already pay for the data in the first place and we have caps so why not let us use it where we feel necessary :|

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    If you're using iit on Verizon, it's not the phone that's preventing tethering, it's Verizon.

3. ohDarr

ohDarr Member
    None

Jun 13, 2013
    No, it is the phone that prevents WiFi tethering because I can USB tether it fine but WiFi never works. From what I understand it's a app on the phone that prevents it but it can be bypassed by a custom kernel/ROM.

4. GameTheory

GameTheory Android Expert

Jul 23, 2012
    Male
    ???
    Actually Rukbat is right. Wifi tether is a paid service by Verizon and if your not paying for it then they block you from using it. It has nothing to do with a custom ROM or kernel.

There is a hack for verizon tethering where you must edit the following database...
    /data/data/com.android.providers.settings/databases/settings.db

You'll need an SQlite editor app.

You can find the hack on what you need to edit by googling it (verizon tether hack).

A warning to you... If verizon catches you, they will throttle down your data to a crawl or terminate your service.

5. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    Usually the latter. And if you're still in contract, to add insult to injury they'll charge you the ETF.

6. trainp01

trainp01 Lurker
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    I searched around to see what needed to be hacked using SQlite but all I found was a method for Droids and not the LG Lucid. I looked around in SQlite for the "entitlement check" mentioned on several forums but can't seem to locate it. Any help to get wifi tether to work on the Lucid 2?? I tried several 3rd party apps but they don't seem to work. TIA

7. GameTheory

GameTheory Android Expert

Jul 23, 2012
    Male
    ???
    I don't own this phone so I can't help you with that. The name of what you're looking for in SQlite might be different. My previous post was just to give the general idea of where in the phone you have to look to do this hack.

I doubt anyone will figure this out. Verizon has gotten really good at blocking people that are not paying for wifi tether. You can still use USB tether though.

8. trainp01

trainp01 Lurker
    None

Nov 2, 2011
    Thanks GAME for the reply. I guess for now, I'm stuck with using the USB tether method. Too bad there is no wifi method. Time to look for new phone :)

9. ohDarr

ohDarr Member
    None

Jun 13, 2013
    One more question for you, how would they catch you? and if they do that then why dont they get anyone using any other phone. and the only reason I want this in the first place is to tether my connection to my tablet, it does not have the 3G option.

10. Nikguy

Nikguy Member
    None

May 5, 2013
    Male
    they shouldnt catch you. let me know if it works

Tags: