• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Wifi turn gray can't connect

If the wifi indicator is showing off (gray) and you can't enable it, it might mean that there's a hardware or drive problem and the wifi radio isn't recognized as being there. First thing I'd do is backup all your important data. Then i'd check for any system updates and apply them if available. Of course, reboot the phone between these steps to check if WiFi will come back. Then I'd try a factory reset (which will wipe your data and apps from the phone so, yeah ... backup!) Before you factory reset, please remove all accounts from the phone so you don't get stuck with FRP (factory reset protection).

If a factory reset doesn't work, you could try to reflash the phones stock firmware. We'd need to know the exact model to be able to help with that.

Finally, if none of that works, I'd say you had a hardware failure, which means you'd have to send it in for repair.

Upvote 0
If it works intermittently, then I would try booting into safe mode to see if the issue is app-related. If you can connect to wifi in safe mode, then my best recommendation would be to back up everything that's important to you and then factory reset. Once done, reinstall your apps one at a time. If the problem happens again, then you'll know which app is the culprit.

If safe mode doesn't solve the problem, then it's got to be failing hardware. The intermittent connections are probably heat related.

Upvote 0
If it works intermittently, then I would try booting into safe mode to see if the issue is app-related. If you can connect to wifi in safe mode, then my best recommendation would be to back up everything that's important to you and then factory reset. Once done, reinstall your apps one at a time. If the problem happens again, then you'll know which app is the culprit.

If safe mode doesn't solve the problem, then it's got to be failing hardware. The intermittent connections are probably heat related.

How to booting in safe mode

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones