• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Wifi turns off 4G?

beallpatrick

Apr 22, 2010
After the last LTE outage I sat around using wifi and after getting pretty worried that my GNex was going to behave like my prior Bionic I accidentally noticed that the 4G indicator only shows up when wifi is OFF.

So my question is, is the GNex actually dropping the 4G connection when wifi is running to conserve power, or is just removing the icon while maintaining the connection but routing data over wifi?

After the last LTE outage I sat around using wifi and after getting pretty worried that my GNex was going to behave like my prior Bionic I accidentally noticed that the 4G indicator only shows up when wifi is OFF.

So my question is, is the GNex actually dropping the 4G connection when wifi is running to conserve power, or is just removing the icon while maintaining the connection but routing data over wifi?

3g/4g turn off when wi-fi is enabled and vise-versa. This is normal function, and your phone is working as designed.

Reactions: beallpatrick
Upvote 0
Is this an ICS feature? On the Razr you had to use a smart action to accomplish this.

I'm pretty sure it's not. It's an Android feature.

On my OG Droid, Droid X, and Bionic, they've all been the same.

The phone only relies on one data source (e.i. 3g/4g/wifi).

So if you leave the wifi on, the phone will flip the to best signal. If you're in range of your wifi access point, it will always default to wifi. But if you walk away from your wifi hot spot, it will automatically flip to 3g or 4g depending on which has the best signal.

Once you return to your hotspot, it will flip back to wifi.

Also...if you leave the wifi toggle on, the phone will notify you if you're near another wifi network. Just go into settings, select wifi, select the settings icon within wifi, and select advance settings. Under advance settings check "Network Notification".

Upvote 0
Pardon if I'm wrong, but I believe that when wi-fi is on, the 3G/4G DATA drops. You still have CDMA/LTE connectivity (thus the bars) for making calls.

Correct, only one data source at a time.

Also, CDMA is 3g... if you're on 3g, you can not talk and browse the web at the same time, since both calling and internet operate on 3g.

But if you have 4g or wifi, the phone will use 4g or wifi for data, and 3g (the bars) for voice.

So on wifi or 4g, your can talk and browse the internet at the same time.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones