• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi use off network?

I have a quick question for you guys. I'm just wondering if I could still use my phone for wifi use like browsing, downloading, etc, once I pick up my new phone and my X is no longer on the network?

I want to keep my X for rooting and having some fun with it.

bldgengineer,

You betcha, you can! :)

I've got an HTC Droid Eris I've been doing exactly that for the last year (along with some fun, evil root-related experiements :eek: :D :)).

After you deactivate it, you'll probably want to put it in airplane mode before turning wi-fi back on to keep the cell radio from draining your battery looking for a connection.

What new phone are you getting (Bionic perhaps)?

Cheers!

Reactions: bldgengineer
Upvote 0
Sweet Thanks!!!

I haven't quite made up my mind yet. I'm off contract but I'm looking at the Prime, Vigor, and Bionic as possible candidates. If the Prime is indeed coming shortly after Vigor, I may just go ahead and get that but if its well into thanksgiving/christmas time than I'll pick Vigor or Bionic as I just can't wait that long lol

Upvote 0
After you deactivate it, you'll probably want to put it in airplane mode before turning wi-fi back on to keep the cell radio from draining your battery looking for a connection.

Wouldn't hurt to shut off 3G data too:
Settings / Battery & data manager / Data delivery / uncheck roaming and enabled

I did this on a recent trip to Canada as not to incur Verizon's outrageous 3G roaming charges. Not sure if it actually shuts down the radio or not. Couldn't hurt since you won't be using 3G on the deviceanymore.

I do know the widget Dazzle can get you to a maintenance screen where you can turn the cell radio off. I know there's a service code to get you to that screen, I just don't remember it.
In Dazzle setup, enable Cellular Radio. On widget, press the Cell Radio button, scroll to bottom of the service page, press Turn Off Radio button. Back to exit. Voila!

Reactions: scary alien
Upvote 0
Wouldn't hurt to shut off 3G data too:
Settings / Battery & data manager / Data delivery / uncheck roaming and enabled

I did this on a recent trip to Canada as not to incur Verizon's outrageous 3G roaming charges. Not sure if it actually shuts down the radio or not. Couldn't hurt since you won't be using 3G on the deviceanymore.

I do know the widget Dazzle can get you to a maintenance screen where you can turn the cell radio off. I know there's a service code to get you to that screen, I just don't remember it.
In Dazzle setup, enable Cellular Radio. On widget, press the Cell Radio button, scroll to bottom of the service page, press Turn Off Radio button. Back to exit. Voila!

Great tip, Doit2it!

Thanks for that :).

There's also a script that CondemnedSoul wrote and posted over on XDA for disabling the radio, but allowing wi-fi to still work:

[Script] WiFi Only (great for inactive devices) - xda-developers

It might do the same thing that you mentioned above and is supposed to work on all Android devices.

Cheers!

Upvote 0
bldgengineer,

You betcha, you can! :)

I've got an HTC Droid Eris I've been doing exactly that for the last year (along with some fun, evil root-related experiements :eek: :D :)).

What new phone are you getting (Bionic perhaps)?

Cheers!

I'm in the same boat - just upgraded to the LG Revolution and was going to sell the Dx on swappa, but i was going to see if it was orthwhile using similar to what i did with an old iphone - it became a decent ipod.

i am in the process of setting up - without root yet.
Question - can one use google voice and/or text messaging or is the network needed for it?

Upvote 0
I'm in the same boat - just upgraded to the LG Revolution and was going to sell the Dx on swappa, but i was going to see if it was orthwhile using similar to what i did with an old iphone - it became a decent ipod.

i am in the process of setting up - without root yet.
Question - can one use google voice and/or text messaging or is the network needed for it?

I think Google Voice will work okay on wi-fi (I think that was the whole point behind it, LOL).

Also, you can send and received texts via Google Voice, too:

Exchanging text messages - Google Mobile Help

I'm sure there's lots of other wi-fi based texting apps (at least there were when I did a quick Market search).

Cheers and good luck!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones