• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

WiFi Way Slow, Individual WAPs "Turned Off?

PeteCress

Android Enthusiast
Aug 12, 2010
Paoli PA, USA
My Samsung P600 tablet (rooted, Android 4.3) has been getting weird wifi-wise: slow speeds, dropped connections, sometimes acting like wifi has been turned off when it has not...

Also, non-HD videos are now choppy/stuttering when they play. They were not that way, say, a month ago - but that is how they are today. Copied to local storage, no problem.

A Windows 8 laptop operated in the exact same location has no wifi or video playing issues. Likewise my Samsung N7000 (old) 5" phone.

So I figure that eliminates the WAPs, radio interference, and so-forth - leaving Android or the hardware or some combination of the two.

One of the things I notice is that Settings | WiFi's list of WAPs sometimes shows them as "Turned Off" instead of the usual "Saved, Secured" even though WiFi shows as being On, not Off.

Could this be a clue?

Anybody been here?

Edit 2014 10-13 1940:

Installed "WiFi Speed Test" on both Android devices and set up WiFi Speed Test Server on my desktop.

Ran a half-dozen download tests on each Android device.

Speeds for the N7000 phone were in the low twenties to low thirties Mbit/s.

Speeds on the problem device never got above 5 Mbit/s and half were below 3.

Same WAP, same channel, same physical place, approx same TOD.

Problem not there say, 4 weeks ago...Device rooted, so no automagic Android system updates (?).

Something has changed, but what ???

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones