• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help WiFi won't activate

I just got a Galaxy Victory to replace my Rise today... And I'm having a strange issue. I got stuck earlier with a 'Preparing network' message and it wouldn't connect, period. During this time, and now, the message is still there. Whenever I try to activate the WiFi antenna, the switch flicks on and then back off really quick, and won't activate. Anybody seen this issue?

Haven't seen the issue, no. But you might want to go into Settings, and under Wireless and Network click on More Settings then go to Mobile Networks. Turn off Connection Optimizer. That always caused issues for me so I disabled it.

If that doesn't work, go to Settings and System Updates. Click on Update Profile. Did you very recently activate your phone?

Upvote 0
Just tonight, actually. About 3 hours ago. Maybe it'll behave better in the morning? I already tooled with the Optimizer to no effect, unfortunately, and tried reverting to 3G only. The only change that implemented was that I Could at least get internet via 3G, because with 4G enabled, it won't connect at all (it was connected earlier tonight, though)

Upvote 0
Well, I had some weird issues within the first twelve hours of activation. Authentication errors. Errors would come up saying failed to register with username and password or it would say could not retrieve voicemail messages. I updated my profile a few times and it eventually quit. Whether re updating the profile helped or if it just eventuality fixed on its own I don't know. I think it was also partly due to me activating in the middle of Virgin Mobile's system update which cause some problems for many people in the transition. Hopefully you'll get it cleared up soon. If not, call VM and see if they can "re provision" your phone to the network.

Upvote 0
Well, I had some weird issues within the first twelve hours of activation. Authentication errors. Errors would come up saying failed to register with username and password or it would say could not retrieve voicemail messages. I updated my profile a few times and it eventually quit. Whether re updating the profile helped or if it just eventuality fixed on its own I don't know. I think it was also partly due to me activating in the middle of Virgin Mobile's system update which cause some problems for many people in the transition. Hopefully you'll get it cleared up soon. If not, call VM and see if they can "re provision" your phone to the network.

Unfortunately, clicking 'Update Profile' makes the little "dwop" noise and does nothing else. Is that what it is supposed to do?

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, clicking 'Update Profile' makes the little "dwop" noise and does nothing else. Is that what it is supposed to do?

That's weird. So it's not updating the profile and then rebooting?

Let's wait it out until tomorrow and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't smooth out by tomorrow you'll probably want to call Virgin Mobile.

Upvote 0
That's weird. So it's not updating the profile and then rebooting?

Let's wait it out until tomorrow and see if the problem persists. If it doesn't smooth out by tomorrow you'll probably want to call Virgin Mobile.

Confirming no change in behavior. COme to think of it, it started after a Firmware update- the Update PRL and Update Firmware buttons have similar results.

EDIT: I think it might be the Sprint kernel I used unwittingly when I'm on VM. I've downloaded your stock nandroid backup of the system and will try applying it later.

EDIT 2: Doing so did NOT revert my kernel. I don't suppose you've got a stock kernel lying around?

Edit 3: Fixed due to Speedball :D

Upvote 0
I just got a Galaxy Victory to replace my Rise today... And I'm having a strange issue. I got stuck earlier with a 'Preparing network' message and it wouldn't connect, period. During this time, and now, the message is still there. Whenever I try to activate the WiFi antenna, the switch flicks on and then back off really quick, and won't activate. Anybody seen this issue?
i fixed it by booting into recovery and installing this file:
http://www.4shared.com/zip/x7h0qPPdba/basebandfix.html
***you need to have twerp recovery and be rooted***

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones