1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

wifi won't stay connected after OTA

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by GSX, Jun 1, 2011.

1. GSX

GSX Member

Help? Anyone? I can connect but it won't stay connected for more than about 30 seconds and BAM, disconnects.

2. OcalaFlGuy

OcalaFlGuy Android Expert

If you are using JuiceDefender maybe that is the problem.

JD is not compatible at the moment with GB.

I also was having WiFi issues and my 3G was barely there after the OTA. I uninstalled JD and the WiFi is back. Both it and the 3G are slower than usual but for now, I am attributing that to the bad weather here today.

My JD version was the free version. Not sure to tell you how to save your pay version somewhere else (for when JD is updated in the future) other than doing a backup someway.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

3. quickaudi

quickaudi Android Expert

might not be a bad idea to reboot the phone a few times

4. GSX

GSX Member

Thanks, I'll try that.

Ocala, I don't have JD (not the Android type anyway), so that's not it.

5. jrenewill

jrenewill Member

I was having the same problem. My issue was that under settings, under battery and data manager, data saver, I had "enable data saver" checked. After I unchecked this box, wifi connected and everything was fine.

Good luck!

6. dibs ODDJOB

dibs ODDJOB Android Enthusiast

I am also having this issue. Before GB, my WiFi would disconnect all the time, even though I had the settings set to never disconnect. That was annoying.

Now it seems that the WiFi does disconnect, but less frequently. However, the connection remains but it just stops working. This morning I was browsing the internet, and every 5 minutes a page would not load because the connection was lost. I would have toggle WiFi off and on again and wait for it to reconnect and it would work again. This makes my phone almost unusable.

I do not have Juice Defender, I do not have data saver setting turned on, I have WiFi set to never turn off. And I've rebooted. And I'm rooted.

7. OcalaFlGuy

It's been about 24 hrs now since I OTA'd and my wifi signal strength has been at just one bar most of the times. A page will load but slowly. I have been mostly inside the same residence and use a laptop on the same wireless with the phone nearby. There was a consistently stronger wifi signal before the OTA.

This may end up being a serious issue for me if it doesn't improve, I was doing ALOT of data usage on wifi.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

8. jrenewill

jrenewill Member

ok I lied...temporary fix. Can't get mine to stay connected now either. :( Very frustrated.

9. GSX

GSX Member

My issue seems to have gotten better. I rebooted several times yesterday and had no issues remaining connected on my home network. Did a speed check and it was within normal ranges. So the acid test was at work today. I has disconnected once or twice for no apparent reason, but yesterday ift was literally every 30-60 seconds. So, maybe quickaudi is on to something with rebooting several times.

10. OcalaFlGuy

By "reboot", do you mean just a power cycle or a battery pull/power cycle?

Thanks,

Bruce in Ocala, FL

11. GSX

GSX Member

Just turn it off, let it sit a minute and then turn it back on.

OcalaFlGuy likes this.
  12. Lars

Lars Android Expert

If you have an n router try locking it in bg. The x has a poor n radio that doesn't work with all n routers.

13. Jesses72390

Jesses72390 Lurker

I use Wifi a lot so this is a big problem for me. I had the .588 leak, sbf back to froyo to recieve OTA. Everything went smoothly and I have had no problems that I have noticed other than this one.

Speedtest - Laptop
    Ping: 30 ms
    Download: 5.88 Mbps (I pay for 6)
    Upload:0.69 Mbps

Speedtest - Droid X - Wifi
    Ping: 194 ms
    Download: 9 kbps
    I don't even know upload during testing it says unable to communicate

Speedtest - Droid X - 3G
    Ping: 140 ms
    Download: 909 kbps
    Upload: 761 kbps

I dont know what the problem is, but its a big one for me as I am a heavy Wifi user..

14. ackoolness

ackoolness Well-Known Member

heres my issue...

my wifi will stay connected and will be fast as ssshhh at work. no problem

my wifi at home...disconnects :'( ill notice that a certain page will not load, and sure enough my wifi is not connected.

i believe it may be due to my router, idk. it works PERFECT at work, but not at home, so i cant point the blame at my x. ive also tried connecting at other wifi spots, and most (about 95%) works fine.

Try testing it at other locations. if the SAME thing happens at other locations then something is wrong. ive just given up on wifi at my house. it sucks, but thats how it is.

15. n1chol3

n1chol3 Member

You guys are lucky, I can't even connect anymore.

16. OcalaFlGuy

Hey Verizon.

When your data usage spikes this month, it isn't just a coincidence.

It's pretty silly to have to further overtax your data network when we could be using "free" wifi.

Get it fixed.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Motorola Droid X Forum

The Motorola Droid X release date was July 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, TI OMAP3630 processor, and 1540mAh battery.

July 2010
Release Date
Reviews