1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Wifi

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by foodjunkie, Jul 15, 2011.

1. foodjunkie

foodjunkie Lurker
    None

Jul 7, 2011
    I use the WiFi on my HTC Inspire as often as I can to avoid data usage. I was wondering if it's more efficient to turn off the WiFi when I'm not using it or is it okay to leave it on all the time?

Advertisement

2. kejlyCZ

kejlyCZ Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 6, 2010
    Male
    occupied
    Planet Earth
    You can leave it on, but this will consume battery (but also avoid use of mobile data). You can change the policy under Settings / Wireless & Networks / Wi-Fi settings, press Menu and select Advanced, choose Wi-Fi sleep policy
    If you, for example, choose to turn off Wi-Fi when screen goes off, it will then turn off Wi-Fi and switch to mobile data.

MissM likes this.
  3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Leaving wifi on can cause battery loss as mentioned as it will scan for available networks which uses power.

I would just long press on a blank part of your screen add widget then choose the power control widget. You can then control wifi, bluetooth, gps and screen brightness with a single tap to turn off or on.

If you want something similar but more customizable you could try widgetsoid and create custom widgets for shortcuts, power control (bt, gps, work etc) and change colors, transparency, icons etc.

4. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member
    None

Tasker's "wifi near" will toggle on wifi every once in a while if you like, and when some other criterion is met.

For example, when Tasker sees I am near my house (by cell tower ID, not by triangulation) it starts toggling on wifi every so often until it sees my home router's SSID. When it does, it latches on and keeps wifi on until I leave again.

One trivial example of the universe of things Tasker can do. And it's cheap. And the author is responsive. And writes good documentation. And....