• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

fitamajig

Lurker
Jan 3, 2014
I got this tablet for Christmas and it is my first android device, ergo I don't know a lot about it. But it was working great and I love it, but a few days ago the WiFi at my house popped up with a message saying "authentication error occured" and one at the bottom that says "incorrect password" even though I entered it exactly correct. (I should probably mention WiFi works fine everywhere else, even places with passwords.) I turned WiFi off and on again, turned the tablet off, even reset factory settings. Are there any options that aren't fiddling with the router settings because I can't do that. Thanks

Install Wifi Analytics. See if there are two signals in the area with the same name, and you're trying to connect to the wrong one. (An Android phone, if you let it choose, will try to connect to the strongest signal it has the data for - and the data [like the password] is linked by the SSID - the name you see for the signal.)

The problem is that all routers from a given manufacturer come with the samename - Cisco and Linksys (same company) routers are all named linksys. They don't want you to have to name the router, but in this day and age, with at least one wifi router in every house and apartment, they should leave the name blank and force you to enter one when you first set it up.

With a phone, it's too easy to walk out of range of your router and into the range of a neighbor's router and if they're the same name, you have a problem. If that's the case, rename yours (you'll have to reconnect all your other wifi devices to it) and the phone shold work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones