1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Wiget Vs app

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by sundance2011, Jan 5, 2012.

1. sundance2011

sundance2011 Member
    None

Nov 20, 2011
    What is the difference between a widget and a app?

Advertisement

2. AndroidAdvntge

None

Dec 29, 2011
    A widget is an app that functions on your desktop ex. Your clock widget isn't a square saying "Clock" its an actual clock. An app is the square I'm talking about that you put on the desktop that will open the actual application. Does that make sense??

3. Goreygirl

Goreygirl Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    Female
    Occupational Health Advisor
    Kildare, Ireland
    This is one of the best explanations I found when I was looking:

"Widgets typically only operate in your home screens, and they typically do one of three things.
    -The first is act as a pleasant and instant viewing experience for some sort of information in your phone (ex. wifi status, calendar viewing, clock etc).
    -Another is a method to instantly change a setting in your phone without redirecting you to the sub-menu within your phone (ex. on/off wifi, on/off LED flashlight, on/off airplane mode, etc)
    -And the last typical use of a widget is to expand the capabilities of you home screen. (ex. some widgets are 1x4 but act as a carousel of multiple 1-click contact access icons, thus making a 1x4 space act like a 1x20 space).

Apps in the other hand, do not act within your home screens. They only show up as a launchable icon (like a pc desktop shortcut) that will require a separate window/interface to open.

In short, widgets typically grant quick/easy/pleasant/efficient access to something that your phone already does (or to an app that it came with)... but an app allows your phone to do entirely new things."

4. AngelArs

AngelArs Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    vB code analysis, Android / iOS Developer, CEO My
    An app has full functionality. It's more like a software program (just much smaller) however, a widget is just a component of an interface. It enables you to perform a function / or access a service :)