1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root Wikidroidrootepedia

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by chulew, Feb 23, 2011.

?

IF you're trying to root/unroot/load rom FOR THE 1st TIME are you experiencing information overload?

Poll closed Mar 25, 2011.
  1. YES

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  2. NO

3 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. chulew

chulew Newbie
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    I am fairy comfortable following instructions to void my warranty and brick my handputer. Problem is there is almost no way to keep up with the tons of info being dumped into cyberspace on the 273 new apps which interface with the 37 new utilities which enable me to root my phone 5 ways from sideways and load one of 2.8 new ROMs which came out yesterday.

Ok, so that's a bit over the top but is there a way to keep up with all this stuff and have a life???

There are plenty of guides on rooting, loading roms, etc. but none that I've found that start with a bird's-eye-view, have plenty of rabbit holes to get lost in, yet offer the BLUE pill at any level along the way.

Is there a wiki for rooting android on one hand and rooting Vibrant on the other? I think AndroidForums has done a great job so far - helped me a lot. I also think VideoHelp.com did a great job with their interface to help the user figure out what tools perform what functions. Take a look at it and tell me something like this wouldn't be great for the rooting community!

Advertisement

2. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Seattle- ish
    Rooting after the 2.2 was a snap with the Super One Click, literally one click. Flashing a custom ROM on the other hand, seems impossible. I think (I've read) that it is due to the hardware lock that comes with the mini-kies upated for Froyo. I installed the new 3e that is supposed to fix this, and still nothing. There was no shortage on kow-to's, but no definitive step by steps that worked.
    Basically, I agree. Very confusing.

3. chulew

chulew Newbie
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    I think I got close to where I wanted to be last night. I got back to stock 2.1, used the one click and the got Rom Manager working. I missed the "delete update.zip" at the end of rooting so I couldn't figure out why I couldn't see my backup - It wasn't even doing it. Well, I figured I should probably save my backup to external SD so I had Rom Manager format it. WRONG!! Brickity brick brick...Ok so what's the RM format for??? Now Odin is not working, can't find a eugene no brick 2.2 to flash in order to be able to flash back to stock. I finally locate one but can't seem to get Odin to re-format before I flash. Re-format without PDA but with PIT right? With all three check box options ticked. Never get a success msg, only the disconnected or whatever. I literally pulled and all-nighter and had to settle with 2.2 ?rooted? and with no internal SD so can't install any market apps like ROM MANAGER WHICH IS WHAT I NEED!! I think. Vib won't reformat the internal - says its corrupt or defective or something. There are a million posts on how to reformat int SD from Vib but none that say what int format should be so I can drop kick it into place with Ubuntu. And 2.2 has me entering my PIN EVERY FRICKEN TIME I TURN THE SCREEN ON.......AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!.

Like you said, everything seems to have some kind of GOTCHA!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

4. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Seattle- ish
    Man, that sucks. So, you were able to re-load 2.2 somehow? (you said bricked) I was bricked to the point of only seeing Samsung in white letters with an occasional vibrating party of fun. I downloaded Odin and downloaded stock 2.1 thru XDA's website. Odin did not want ot work for me either, at first. Finally got it.
    I just put .512 in hte pit folder, and the downloaded stock 2.1 Rom ending in .tar in the checked pda folder. Everything else was as you described it. Hope that helps.

5. chulew

chulew Newbie
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    I had the vibrating party all day yesterday but last night I got to the point where I thought the phone to completely toast. No lights, no screen, no USB recognition sound. I was sure it was cooked and then I played with the battery, usb, and vol keys and it came back alive after like 30 min/30 tries of Odin re-format option with only .512 PIT loaded (no pda). I finally got a break or some whacky combination/timing of events and it booted with a missing file message in addition to the usual bad checksum I was getting (probably from the internal card format screwed up). This got 2.2 loaded and at least I have wifi, gmail account and can make calls. Market is hosed since I have no internal SD. I tried guide on how to make the external the default for app install but ended up with a command not recognized in sdk and that's when I headed for a shower and back to work, happy I at least had something working. I want to say I remember that Ubuntu could mount the internal SD and at some point I tried making it fat32 since nothing else was working.

Can you tell me what format and parameters your internal SD has (in Windows Disk Managment or preferably with gparted in Ubuntu?) I'm thinking I need to manually format it to get it back. I read somewhere there is a Mount Fix in Rom Manager but I can't use market to install. Another way perhaps?

6. DVNO

DVNO Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 22, 2010
    Chicago
    Come on guys. You are making this waaaaaaaaay harder than it is. Rooting and flashing Roms is really really simple, and im a bigger noob than anyone.

To Root :

First your gonna need to google "root samsung vibrant" and then download the "update.zip" to your computer.

Then follow these steps:
    1. Download the attached zip and rename to: update.zip
    2. On your device, navigate to Settings > Applications > USB settings and select Mass storage
    3. Plug your device into your computer, select mount USB from your device’s pull-down window
    4. Copy the update.zip to the INTERNAL SD memory (~14gb on this drive, not the one w/ Avatar if you’ve still got the 2gb SD card in)
    5. Turn your phone off.
    6. Hold down volume up and volume down while powering on the phone, this should get you to a recovery menu, you may have to try this a few times.
    7. In Recovery menu select ‘Reinstall Packages’ (use vol_down then power to select)

Very easy. Now you want to root?? Ok, go to xda and look for vibrant android dev forum. Pick which ever rom suits your taste. I really prefer EDT Roms but pick whatever.

Now copy the Rom zip to your internal memory on your phone. I use a file manager which makes it a whole lot easier. Than unplug your phone from the comp and reboot into recovery (Rom manager makes this easy). Now scroll down and wipe data/factory reset (use volume keys to scroll down). Now go to install zip from sd card. Then choose zip from sd card. Find your Rom and click on it. Select Yes install this rom. Wait..........

Now when its finished you need to wipe your cache partition, then go to advanced and wipe dalvik cache and then fix permissions. Very easy to do and very quick. Once your done go back to reboot system now.

Voila you are rooted and running the custom rom of your choice. These steps should work every time. I have flashed this phone more than I should admit too and i have never had any issues. Good luck! :)

Hope this helps.

7. STiGLOGiC

STiGLOGiC Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 24, 2010
    The problem with the overload of information you are experiencing is that too many people are trying to re-invent the wheel. It is all very simple, and once a simple way was found, that should have been the end of it.

8. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Seattle- ish
    okay, failure at line 84. WTF!?! Shit is getting old.

9. chulew

chulew Newbie
    None

Sep 8, 2010
    Make sure you have a genuine Eugene 2.2 No Brick. I found another source and it worked first try. Mine was either corrupt or an imposter.

10. aci78

aci78 Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    Seattle- ish
    I got past it. I've done so many different things now I couldn't possible pinpoint what I did right, though.