• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will 2.2 give the Incredible "Hotspot" capability?

With PDANet already getting around the need to pay for USB enabled Tether (and Bluetooth as well), does anyone think there will be a solid app contender out there that will work around this WiFi issue without the need for root? I wouldn't mind paying $10 for an app that allowed me to WiFi tether for free.

Upvote 0
Does the phone have to be rooted for PDA Net to work? Just wondering. I used that app on my jail broke iPhone. Worked pretty good and would definitely buy it for the DINC whenever it may get here. I do have no prob Rooting though if it isn't that complicated a process.

Upvote 0
Does the phone have to be rooted for PDA Net to work? Just wondering. I used that app on my jail broke iPhone. Worked pretty good and would definitely buy it for the DINC whenever it may get here. I do have no prob Rooting though if it isn't that complicated a process.
No, root isn't necessary. PDA Net is also free, unless you want to view secure pages (probably would want that if you used it often).

My hope is that there is a way to have a non-rooted app that would enable the WiFi tether, post Froyo. Though I'm not 100% adverse to rooting, I'd rather avoid it if I don't have to.

Upvote 0

nope, PDAnet runs on none-rooted phones, I myself am using it :)

Reactions: Deleted User
Upvote 0
I take it you are talking about the Incredible acting as a wired hotspot rather than a wifi hotspot. If I am correct it does not have the hardware capability to be a wifi hotspot (like say the EVO or other select devices). Correct me if I am wrong (hope I am).

It has the hardware capabilities, but you have to run software to make it work and the phone must be rooted to do it atm as well...

But with the wired you don't need to be rooted or anything.

Upvote 0
So PDA Net doesn't create a WiFi signal? You have to be wired to the computer to phone? On the iPhone it would send a WiFi signal. I guess though if I can plug in a cord, it doesn't really matter as long as it will fire up my Mac Book when I am away from home.

Nope i'm afraid, PDAnet is only wired of Bluetooth signal...

Upvote 0
Froyo will allow wireless hotspot feature, But what we don't know is if Verizon will disable it or not, but I'm sure a rom will come out with that enabled :)

I think we spend too much time trolling the UNOFFICIAL sources, and ignore the official ones. Verizon will allow WiFi tethering on the Droid X if you pay them, so I assume the Incredible and other capable phones will be able to do it.

Droid Does | The Next Generation of Does by Verizon Wireless Click "Initiate Droid X Features"

With PDANet already getting around the need to pay for USB enabled Tether (and Bluetooth as well), does anyone think there will be a solid app contender out there that will work around this WiFi issue without the need for root? I wouldn't mind paying $10 for an app that allowed me to WiFi tether for free.

As far as I know, WiFi tether requires the antenna be set to a different mode (WiFi and 3G running at the same time can't happen normally) so I think it will always require root. Though maybe once Verizon starts charging for it there will be a hack.

Upvote 0
I think we spend too much time trolling the UNOFFICIAL sources, and ignore the official ones. Verizon will allow WiFi tethering on the Droid X if you pay them, so I assume the Incredible and other capable phones will be able to do it.

Droid Does | The Next Generation of Does by Verizon Wireless Click "Initiate Droid X Features"

As far as I know, WiFi tether requires the antenna be set to a different mode (WiFi and 3G running at the same time can't happen normally) so I think it will always require root. Though maybe once Verizon starts charging for it there will be a hack.

So you assuming is just as bad as unofficial stuff, and I NEVER SAID anything false, all i said was I THINK....

Upvote 0
Wireless teather will be available on either phone (we're already using it on rooted DI's so clearly it's a green light) but 100% chance that Big Red will cripple it. So it'll be a paid feature as common sense would dictate.

There's no advantage to DI vs X in this regard. Root or a higher monthly bill will be required to use it in either case.

Upvote 0
I take it you are talking about the Incredible acting as a wired hotspot rather than a wifi hotspot. If I am correct it does not have the hardware capability to be a wifi hotspot (like say the EVO or other select devices). Correct me if I am wrong (hope I am).

You're wrong because you can wifi tether with this phone Rooted. Hardware has nothing to do with it. All software.

Upvote 0
I would like this feature but I wish it was part of my data plan but it will be an extra charge. I would root but I really enjoy sense so maybe later but for now Im ok without it.

Rooting doesn't change anything with your phone. You don't lose any of your settings/apps, Sense stays the same. The only way you can tell a phone is rooted is by seeing the "Superuser Permissions" in your app listing.....and obviouslly having the wifi tethering app :)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones