1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!
  2. We apologize for the disruption in email services! They are sending out now, but there is a backlog, so it may take a little time to catch up.

Will a bluetooth 3.0 phone support a bluetooth 2.1 device?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by surgerush, Nov 13, 2011.

1. surgerush

surgerush Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    New York State
    I have the Samsung Exhibit II which has bluetooth 3.0. The device I have is a handsfree car speaker thing, but it's 2.1. The phone WILL pair with the device, but as soon as the device is turned off, or I go out of range, it will not re-pair with the device unless I unpair the device and re-pair it every single time.

I was using it with my Optimus V perfectly, never had a problem with it at all, paired automatically every single time. I looked up as much as I could on the problem but I'm not getting a solution, it just will not stay paired. I can't simply just click connect, it won't connect, I have to un-pair and re-pair it every single time. I made sure I deleted everything off the device so it would only be paired to this 1 phone.

Any help would be awesome.

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

Well, you're just one bluetooth step away from backward compatibility: 2.1 works with 2.0 devices, but 3.0 will not with 2.1 devices. ;)

3. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    I think it matters more on what the device is trying to do, more so than a complete incompatibility.

My Evo 3D with 3.0 works with everything except a small thing with my car. And, from the Evo 3D sub forum, it's a '11 Chevy specific thing. I can't share my contact list with my car, else it has pairing problems. But other than that, audio is perfect.

He might have the same thing. So to OP: Pair your phone with your car, again. Then, when it asks for permission to connect to your contact list, deny it. You should be fine.

4. surgerush

surgerush Android Enthusiast
    None

Oct 18, 2011
    New York State
    It's not actually built into the car, it's just a hands free thing you clip on your visor to answer and make calls. So it doesn't ask for my contact list, it's just a simple pair. Sucks if I can't use it without pairing it every time, I ude it all the time.