• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Will a Factory Reset erase "/sdcard"?

KlaymenDK

Android Expert
May 29, 2009
Denmark
Hi,
I know this is probably a dumb question, but I need to know for sure.

If I do a "Factory Reset" on my Samsung Galaxy, will it (not only zap all apps and settings, which is what I'm after, but also) erase what's stored in "/sdcard" and/or "/sdcard/sd"? :thinking:

I know that "/sdcard" is the built-in storage, and "/sdcard/sd" is the removable storage, but I'm not clear on whether "/sdcard" is part of the firmware area and whether or not it's the same as where the apps&settings are stored? I mean, there's lots of stuff outside "/sdcard", in the root of the file system ... is that stored in another chip? If not, I guess the whole shebang is going to go poof ...

The reason this is important is, well, I don't have a micro-sd card to plug in, and I would very much like to have a backup of all the apps (eg. using the Astro file manager) while I do a reset. I'm trying to determine if my hardware really is broken, or if it's the firmware.

For your info:
I just reset my phone, and everything in "/sdcard" was still there afterwards. So it's pretty safe to reset, provided you have backed up your apps with Astro or somesuch. :)

It also means that, if you really want to zap your phone (say, before selling it or sending it in for service), you must take care to empty your "/sdcard" folder manually.

Sadly, and unrelated to this thread, it didn't improve the issue of the APN list not wanting to save my settings. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones