1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Will all of this kill my battery faster..?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by xxteargodxx, Jul 19, 2011.

1. xxteargodxx

xxteargodxx Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 18, 2010
    Male
    Unemployed
    Jersey City, NJ
    I've recently come across the GO Launcher in the Market..And I LOVE it! I'm using it's honeycomb launcher/theme. I installed plenty of widgets to go with it, (I've never ever used widgets before).

Screen 1: Analog Clock (widget), Task Manager (widget), Data Usage (widget) 2 rows of icons.

Screen 2: Friendcaster Pro (widget).

Screen 3: Calendar (widget).

Screen 4: Tweetdeck (widget).

Advertisement

2. ardchoille

ardchoille Android Expert
    None

Mar 8, 2011
    Male
    Ordained Minister
    Seattle
    First of all you don't need a task manager, the system manages things on its own. If you're manually killing tasks then you're causing unnecessary battery drain and CPU usage. This article explains why.

Secondly, any widget/app that is constantly polling a server for information (such as facebook, twitter, weather, etc.) is going to have an impact on battery life.

I would say get rid of everything except the icons, you can sync your facebook and twitter stuff when you launch the associated app.. but that's just me.

3. johnlgalt

johnlgalt Antidisestablishmentarian
    None

Oct 28, 2009
    Male
    Graduate Research Assitant | That part time IT guy
    3rd Rock
    Google's Music player 3 runs a service at boot that starts the music app and keeps it in memory, using around 6 MB of RAM. Although GB is supposed to be good at freeing RAM for apps, it really isn't - not on my poor crippled device. Since hte Music app service is never restarted, I can safely have it killed every time the phone is rebooted (once a day as I swap batteries). So, there are definitely times when a TM is beneficial ad not harmful.

In the right user's ahnds, who knows what they are doing, of course. if you're running around killing apps all willy nilly, then, yes, a TM can be harmful to your system.

Overall, if you're running into sluggishness issues, unrsponsive issues, etc, you'll need to kill off some of those widgets - because then most of the widgets that are running will also be *running* in the background, using up RAM. And our DROIDs run out of RAM faster than an 8086 class PC