1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Will an Amazon Appstore purchased SeekDroid work if the Amazon App is uninstalled?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by SydL, May 29, 2011.

1. SydL

SydL Newbie
    None

May 29, 2011
    Hi guys, this is my first post here, been lurking around for a while and finally got around to making an account. I recently got my first Android a little over a month ago (HTC Desire HD) and I'm in love with it.

I wanted to purchase the SeekDroid App from the Amazon Appstore but my question is, since Amazon's Apps don't launch if the Appstore is uninstalled, will SeekDroid work if (for the sake of argument) the thief uninstalls the Appstore?

I know that Devs have a choice of including the DRM but in the SeekDroid website, I came across a comment by one of the Devs stating that they require DRM to sell the app. So what happens if a phone gets stolen and I can't launch the SeekDroid app because Amazon Appstore has been uninstalled?

Also, purchasing from the market is not an option for me. I hope someone here can shed some light on this, thanks.

Advertisement

2. pool_shark

pool_shark Android Expert

Aug 21, 2010
    Male
    Infrastructure Engineer
    Ohio
    My amazon apps still work after uninstalling the app. I think it gives the message that the appstore has been uninstalled, but the apps downloaded still work.

SydL likes this.
  3. SydL

SydL Newbie
    None

May 29, 2011
    @John
    Apparently applications purchased from Amazon Appstore don't work/launch once Amazon Appstore has been uninstalled. So since SeekDroid needs to be launched when your phone is stolen/lost, if the thief (or whoever finds the phone) happens to uninstall Amazon Appstore then technically SeekDroid would be useless.

@Pool_Shark
    Is that so? I suppose it's just a few apps which use Amazon's DRM then? Although SeekDroid's Dev did mention that they require the Amazon DRM.

I did contact the Dev, but haven't received any information, if I do, I'll be sure to update this. In the meantime, I hope someone has more information regarding this, I'm surprised no one thought of it before.

4. DwarfHelmut

DwarfHelmut Lurker
    None

Nov 9, 2010
    I have a tablet that used to be able to run the Amazon App Store, but after updating the Android build running on it the app store can now no longer be installed, which, of course, means that I can no longer run any of the apps I had previously downloaded from the app store. This totally sucks. If the app store must live eternally on my device, then it needs to be robust enough to survive an update. Android is going to continue to evolve...