• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Android last ?

I live in the US and we have the same problem, carriers decide and they really do not want to get into the software end of this, the costs, the time and resources to test, it's not something carriers really want to delve into long term. They just want to sign people up on contracts. They will piss people off with this crap. Smartphone platforms are expected to get updated and to be available, paid or not. Personally i would not mind paying for any software upgrade, just make them available. I wouldn't rely on Google being in this long term either, I don't trust them. i think this is all just a big experiment. I do not see any passion, commitment or heart and soul in this endeavour. I truely believe this platform, unless there is direction and commitment from google, will fall away to the geeks to play with. Google has already dropped the ball on the code, which tells me they really do not care about any of this.

Google's Android code deleted from Linux kernel ? Register Hardware

PS I have cdma hero with cellular south, if anyone knows how to get this thing rooted, and have it work properly, let me know. I have tried several times, will not root. I am a tech person and it is extremely hard. the average user, the masses that could bring android to the mainstream, will not be doing this. I work tech support a lot for people with their office pbx phones, that sit on their desk, the same phone they have had for years, and they do not even know what their freaking extension is. They will not be rooting.
I would consider myself in group 2. Seriously, I can hardly even edit my profile but I rooted my Hero without difficulty. Maybe that was just a fluke lol. Another thing that has not been mentioned in this thread is the fact that Android is in its infancy as an OS. I feel it will only get better. Hands down the best phone Ive ever had!!!

Upvote 0
I know the market is young compared to Iphone (dont like iphone/itunes apple etc) but is there any promise the Android market is going to get better ?
There are no such "promises" in real life. Even the vaunted iPhone has no guarantees regarding the future. Buy into whatever platform you prefer. If you want the iPhone experience then go for it.

Alot of the apps are just copys of another app but theres nothing that really stand out.
There are definitely apps that stand out. Maybe you're not finding the apps you're looking for. I suggest hitting the various Android sites for app suggestions rather than attempting to wade through the Market itself.

Any platform is going to consist mostly of apps that "are just copys (sic) of another app".

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones