• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Android phones ever be un-rootable?

Palmetto Fellow

Android Expert
Sep 24, 2010
SC
Do you guys think the manufacturers will ever lock-down the phones so good that we can't acheive root access?

I am lucky to have the HTC EVO4G. It is one of the more popular Android phones as seen by how many threads and posts are in the EVO4G sub forum. Because of this popularity, there is a lot of 3rd party development for this phone including a multitude of ROMs.

I have considered jumping ship to Verizon and taking advantage of their double data promotion...which would incur an ETF from Sprint...but that's a whole different topic.

Anyway, when the day does come to get a new phone, how can I ensure that I get a VERY popular phone with lots of support from the developer community? I don't want a phone that has limited resources working on obtaining root as well as developing ROMs.

What's the best strategy moving forward to ensure that I get a phone that's both rootable, and will have lots of support. Do I need to stick to the flagship models for each carrier? I assume the flagships change every 6 months or less.

I think I've decided to wait for the Quad Core phones...so I have a good 6-9 months before I leave the EVO 4G.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones