• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will Apps work over Wi-Fi out of country? (Verizon)

JFRAN

Lurker
Jun 11, 2010
Quick question for someone smarter than myself:

I will soon be traveling to Honduras for a week and am fairly certain my CDMA Verizon Droid X is not going to work as far as voice/data services over 3G/1X network, which is fine.

My question is this: Where I can pick up a Wi-Fi signal (i.e. my hotel), will I be able to do things like browse my Facebook App, Play Words with Friends, use GChat, etc over the Wi-Fi signal? What about placing Skype calls?

Anyone who can shed light on this, I would much appreciate it. Just wondering if I should even bother bringing my phone or not.

Yes, your apps should work normally on just wifi. I did a similar thing recently in Europe. Make sure to keep Airplane Mode on so that it doesn't suck up a lot of battery trying to find a cell phone signal.

As far as Skype... The stock Skype app -- called Skype Mobile -- will not work on wifi because it relies on the Verizon network. However, you can download the "regular" Skype app from the Market that will work on wifi. Interestingly, THAT Skype app seems to only work on wifi, not over the 3G network.

Another thing I found is the GPS has a weird problem where it won't start up without the cell radio on. The workaround I found is to turn Airplane mode off, then turn GPS on, then turn Airplane mode back on. This was with Froyo. Maybe they've fixed that problem in Gingerbread.

Have fun!

Reactions: JFRAN
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones