• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Will AT&T somehow screw me?

elaniemay

Lurker
Feb 2, 2013
I am up for my upgrade in April. I had originally planned to wait for whatever Apple releases in September-ish and upgrade at that point. I have debated whether I should cross over to Android for the last year or so and now I really am on the fence.

My consideration is paying full price for a no-contract Android device and testing it out for however long the return period is (10 days or so) and seeing what I think. Regardless of what I decide, I would return it before the return period ended. That way, I could get a feel for Android and could make a more informed decision when my upgrade time frame came about.

My questions are...would AT&T screw me somehow for doing this? I do not want to use or forfeit my upgrade, which is why I would pay the no-contract price for a phone. I have the grandfathered unlimited data plan on my iPhone; would this transfer smoothly to an Android device? This question is quite important since I could decide to go the Android route later on when I am ready to upgrade.

What is the best route to take here? Jailbreak my iPhone and see what I think of that? I am a hands-on person...so I really feel that I need a little time with an Android device and don't really know anyone close to me that owns one.

I ended up purchasing a Note 2 off contract and then taking it to my AT&T store for activation. Best Buy gives 30 days and has no restocking fee. I got the activation fee waived so I just have to pay for the one month of service (added a line for a month). Got the Note 2 and already love it. It's going to be tough being left with my 4S when I have to return it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones