1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Will AT&T Version Work Abroad, etc.?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by thrdjohn13, May 4, 2012.

1. thrdjohn13

thrdjohn13 Lurker
    None

May 4, 2012
    Be patient with me gang--I know just enough about this stuff to make myself dangerous.

I need advice: I know the question of whether to buy the AT&T or Int'l version for American users has been posed. I have the same question, but from a different perspective of different needs.

Here's my issue: My wife and I have a family account and are looking to renew; however, for the next year, both of us will be spending a lot of time in Europe--Spain, Italy, and the UK mainly. So fundamentally, I want a phone I can use well in both locations. Spec-wise, we prefer the AT&T version, but what we don't know exactly what's to be gained or lost by using the Int'l version and want to make sure we avoid any potholes. Hoping your can help. I think our essential questions are these:

1) If unlocked, can the AT&T version be used in Europe? Should I expect any problems or decreased usability of any kind? For instance, will European networks treat the phone just as the Int'l One X, or will I experience slower or less frequent data?
    2) Suppose we bite the bullet and use the Int'l version. Should we expect any network issues--in particular, a hard time finding HSPA+ use? Will data be slow or hard to get?
    3) What do you think the chances are of getting AT&T to unlock the phone, given we've been customers for 4 years? Alternatively, do you think the bootloader issue will be solved, or hacks will be created to unlock the phone?

My understanding--and correct me if I'm wrong--is that the AT&T One X should work basically the same as the Int'l version abroad. The real problem will be getting the unlock from AT&T, which presently seems like a bit of a nightmare. Thus, if this remains a real problem, getting the Int'l version--despite the extra $$--may be the simplest solution.

Thank you all in advance. Any help you can offer would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement

2. anoniemouse

anoniemouse Android Expert
    None

Jul 3, 2010
    Button Moon
    From what i have heard about the AT&T network i think it is gsm in which case you should be fine using that phone in Europe, the only part that wont work is the LTE part as we dont have that over here yet.

thrdjohn13 and EarlyMon like this.
  3. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Most people, myself included, have found very little difficulty using ATT phones on international travel.

Welcome to the forums! :)

thrdjohn13 likes this.
  4. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 6, 2010
    My vote would be the international unlocked version. Then you dont to worry about relying on AT&T for an unlock.

thrdjohn13 likes this.
  5. thrdjohn13

thrdjohn13 Lurker
    None

May 4, 2012
    I appreciate the suggestions.

FYI: I decided to opt for the Int'l version. LTE isn't big enough here to be a serious draw yet (even in NYC, where I live); I'm a tad worried about 16GB; and I don't trust AT&T. I considered importing from Rogers, but I decided the extra 16GB matters more to me than the difference between LTE and HSPA+, which I won't even experience most of the time. Tough call--I kept changing my mind.

Related question: Is there a sticky or post somewhere about warnings/how-tos for placing an Int'l One X on AT&T--especially for iPhone 4 converts w/ unlimited plans? I couldn't find one...and I realize that it may be to early to ask. If not, I can share my experiences once I've figured this all out in the next week.

Tags: